we used to try just a tube from the surface down but it's limited

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ahhh, OK? Welcome to the board in general and to the vintage section. In this section, we discuss diving and restoring old 50s, 60s and 70s dive gear.

I tried that when I was 10 and got a in lesson physics.

Attach a foot bellows pump to the end of the hose and then time your breathing to to the rate of the person pressing the pump at the surface.....8' to 10' is possible.

When I was young and stupid (I think 8 or 9) I attached my dads air compressor via a hose to a section of plastic pipe. The pipe looked like a snorkel with an extension 6" lower than the J bend and was open. The device would supply air to me at just over the pressure at depth, excess air would vent out the bottom. It actually worked well as long as the compressor supplied more air than I breathed. If I gulped air, I could have asperated water. The downside of course is the compressor was oil lubricated, so the air tasted like oil and left a coating on my mouth. Nor was it a good things for my lungs.

Put a kink in a garden hose and leaving one end on the surface/deck and then holding the kink tight go down to the bottom of the pool and stick your tongue in the end and then release the kink.

Report back if possible.

Disclaimer, only do the above if you are stupid and want to injure yourself.

N

My first dives were with a foot pump and a hose jury rigged to a DESCO triangle mask dare I say it, over 35 years ago. Couldn't get deep. A little over 5 feet probably and they were short in duration, but too cool. Wish I still had that mask. They still make them. a new one is about $700.00. Low on the list though.

Put a kink in a garden hose and leaving one end on the surface/deck and then holding the kink tight go down to the bottom of the pool and stick your tongue in the end and then release the kink.

Report back if possible.

N

Ahhhh, the divers' version of "A Christmas Story" :rofl3:

I triple dog dare you!!!!

When I was young and stupid (I think 8 or 9) I attached my dads air compressor via a hose to a section of plastic pipe. The pipe looked like a snorkel with an extension 6" lower than the J bend and was open. The device would supply air to me at just over the pressure at depth, excess air would vent out the bottom. It actually worked well as long as the compressor supplied more air than I breathed. If I gulped air, I could have asperated water. The downside of course is the compressor was oil lubricated, so the air tasted like oil and left a coating on my mouth. Nor was it a good things for my lungs.

Grumpy,

This is actually more hazardous than you may think. The oil is not absorbed by the lungs, and if it gets into the lungs can cause lipoid pneumonia--get enough and that can be fatal. 'Just wanted to discourage others who may read this from actually trying it with an oil cooled compressor.

I think we all thought about a longer snorkel in our teen years, but as Nemrod states, the physics is pretty brutal. I was lucky, as I read Cousteau's The Silent World, and Jacques cleared up a bunch of misconceptions in the first chapters, including the long hose, as I recall.

SeaRat

Report back if possible.

N
Nemrod,

This was like when my Mom was told in grade school in Bend, Oregon to put her tongue on the swing chain and jump off--it was a painful and bloody lesson. It was cold that winter, and for those who live in the tropics, when the temperature is around zero, anything that is wet that touches a swing chain instantly freezes to it. My Mom lost a small chunk of her tongue that day. I hope everyone reads Nem's entire post.

SeaRat

Back
Top Bottom