We want whale sharks! (and a little luxury)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I believe the time to see Whalesharks in Utila would be February. April/May would be Palencia, and June-August would be Isla Holbox and Isla Murjeres.
Not really - the optimum time off Utila is March-April. Feb might be a little early.

Deep Blue runs a Whale Shark Research program - it's the week they bring in experts for research - so I'd guess they expect to see them - we did two years ago. The four optimum weeks this year:

2011 Whale Shark research weeks

Sat 19th March to Sat 26th March
Sat 26th March to Sat April 2nd
Sat April 2nd to Sat April 9th
Sat April 9th to Sat April 16th

For reference the optimum weeks to Dive with them in Placencia (Gladden Spit) are around the full moons - Splash Divers lists them:

Our 2011 Beliuze Whale Shark diving package dates;

* March 16th - March 26th
* April 15th - April 25th
* May 14th - May 24th
* June 13th - June 23rd

Maybe I was just lucky but my husband and I snorkeled with about 50 whale sharks last June (June 22nd in fact, which is my birthday) off of Isla Mujeres. It was the best 40th birthday present I could have asked for and one of the highlights of my life. I think May is a little early to see the whale sharks in Mexico, though.

As the others have said, from your criteria, I would go to Mexico over the other two places. We are researching Roatan now for this June and from what the other posters have said and from the research I've done, it does seem pretty rustic. We were thinking Belize also but it seems like you have to go really far out for good diving and the drive from the airport to the places you want to stay seems really far too.

As far as the bugs go, you're going to get them in all of those places. We were bitten alive everywhere we went in Mexico, including the upscale resort we stayed at. Just bring tons of bugspray.

Have you thought about staying on Isla Mujeres? There is a small, upscale boutique hotel called Villa Rolandi that I've heard great things about. Also La Amada north of Cancun is supposedly really nice and it is far away from the touristy area. We wound up staying at an all-inclusive which we hated and it doesn't seem like you guys would like that either. Or maybe look at VRBO for a vacation rental? We are thinking of doing this in Roatan.

As far as diving, both my husband and I hadn't dove in 10 years either but we found an AWESOME dive shop called Scorpio Divers that basically gave us a refresher course on our first dive with them. We wound up diving three days with them, it was so much fun. They picked us up from our hotel too, which was really convenient. We really consider them our friends now and are considering going back to Mexico in June just to dive with them. They also arranged the whale shark dive too.

I am always cold too. At that time of year the water was super warm. We dove in bathing suits most of the time, except when we did a deep wreck dive and a night dive. It was like bathwater!

We felt very safe in Mexico too. We rented a car one day and drove to Tulum and the Coba ruins and had no issues.

One more thing about the whale sharks. The boat ride out to see them was about an hour and the water was really choppy. Many of the people on the boat got seasick on the way out. Also, you are swimming in the open ocean so that may be a little freaky for some people. But you don't need any diving experience to snorkel with them as you have to wear either a life vest they give you or a wet suit if you have one. You need to be in pretty good shape to keep up with them though. :wink:

Good luck!

For Luxury in MEXICO With the BEST Chances to SEE/SWIM with the Oceans Largest Fish & CK it off your "Bucket List"

Try

HolboxWhaleSharkTours

CancunWhaleSharkTours

Last year 40,000 people DID IT!

Why not be inline for this years season June 1 to Sept 15

On Utila, if you are looking for little higher end and to be taken care of, I recommend staying out of town. Theres a few nice ones, but I stayed at Deep Blue Dive Resort and had a good time with 3 other friends.

Utila isn't known for it's amazing beaches :) but the diving was amazing. Ask for Marlo at Deep Blue, shes one of the DMs and so fun to dive with.

In town, I think Mango Inn (Same company as Utila Dive Center) is quite nice, the larger rooms are pretty sweet. Andy, the Instructor at UDC is really a cool, laid back guy.

I found both of them, with quite a bit of info at - http://www.thescubadivingdirectory.com/dive-centers-resorts?catid=24

Have a great time on Utila and hope you see Whale Sharks.

Bradley

Roatan is rustic? Maybe in some places, maybe not in others...

Here are three different non-rustic places to stay in Roatan

DSC_6215.jpg

4258842773_ce1fa69ac6_z.jpg

img_2325.JPG

Just returned from 7 days in Utila. Our group saw 6 Whale Sharks, we had the greatest time!
We stayed at the Mango Inn, Barbara, her staff, were fabulous, Lorenzo in the grill was superb!
We dove with Utila Dive Center, Jim and his group were also fabulous. We had Captain Anthony, and the boat Old Tom, and he can find the Whale Sharks if they are there! Our divemasters were Carolyn and Tim, they were superb!
Cannot say enough good things about all the people who made the trip, the adventure of our diving life so far!
Just as a sidelight our Captain Anthony, found us a pod of Pilot Whales on our last day!
What a trip, thanks to all who helped!!!!!!!!!!!

Just returned from 7 days in Utila. Our group saw 6 Whale Sharks, we had the greatest time, greatest diving!
We stayed at the Mango Inn, Barbara, her staff, were fabulous, Lorenzo in the grill was superb!
We dove with Utila Dive Center, Jim and his group were also fabulous. We had Captain Anthony, and the boat Old Tom, and he can find the Whale Sharks if they are there! Our divemasters were Carolyn and Tim, they were superb!
Cannot say enough good things about all the people who made the trip, the adventure of our diving life so far!
Just as a sidelight our Captain Anthony, found us a pod of Pilot Whales on our last day!
What a trip, thanks to all who helped!!!!!!!!!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom