weather on Big Island??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bnkysgrl

Registered
Reaction score
I have been following the weather on the big island for the last few weeks, and it seems to be overcast and showers almost every day :06:? I don't remember it raining so often or being like this the last few times I have gone, is this the normal weather pattern for the area this time of year? Could this just be passing showers or is it really raining this much? Any info would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Alicia

I was there July 30-Aug 6th and had the same concerns before we left. What we found though was that the forcasts we got here seemed to be a composite of all the weather on the island. The Kona side was dry and hot every day. We had one 1/2 day of overcast and a light shower. But by the time we met the boat for our sunset and night dive it was hot and sunny and we even had a green-flash sunset. We really lucked out in Hilo where we had 2 1/2 days of hot sun with just evening showers. When we drove from Kona to Hilo and Hilo to Kona we went through temp changes of 20 degrees along the way, had everything from sunny skies to torential downpours. Don't worry about the weather forcast you are getting.

Hilo usualy wet, Kona usualy dry, rains every day in Waimea ( it seems anyway)and it's always cold on Mauna Kea, snow cold! Big Isle has 11 of the 13 climates in the world so Im sure you can find some place that suits you.

bnkysgrl:
I have been following the weather on the big island for the last few weeks, and it seems to be overcast and showers almost every day :06:? I don't remember it raining so often or being like this the last few times I have gone, is this the normal weather pattern for the area this time of year? Could this just be passing showers or is it really raining this much? Any info would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Alicia

Kona weather is generally consistant unless a front passes through. It's the "rainy" season here now (when the ocean warms up we get convective activity), which generally means warm and clear in the morning, clouding up in the afternoons and then clearing up again at night. Rainfall will depend on how far up the mountain you are. Clouds will depend on how close you are to the mountains. The coastline generally doesn't see that much rain. The resorts up north don't see that much in the way of clouds, town might. It will not affect your diving. We've had maybe a couple evenings of rain on the water lately, that's it. If you are watching the weather via the weather channel or some other source, ignore it. They're generally incorrect when it comes to predicting anything more than temperatures.

Have fun!

Thank you for the info! The weather report said it was for Kona but sounded more island wide. We had no rain last time we were there, but I wasn't sure as weather has been strange state side this year. Thanks again for your help!

Back
Top Bottom