Weather Warning Through This Weekend

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fisheater

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
This just in from the National Weather Service:

SAFETY BULLETIN

November 27, 2012

Hazardous Weather Outlook and High Wind Warning Issued

The National Weather Service has issued a Hazardous Weather Outlook and High Wind Warning for the San Francisco Bay Area beginning tomorrow Wednesday, November 28 through the weekend.

...STRONG AND GUSTY WINDS DURING THE WEDNESDAY MORNING COMMUTE FOR MOST OF THE SAN FRANCISCO AND MONTEREY BAY REGION... DAMAGING WIND GUSTS WILL BE STRONG ENOUGH TO BRING DOWN WEAKENED TREES AND OR BRANCHES WHICH CAN LEAD TO POWER OUTAGES. DRIVING HIGH PROFILE VEHICLES WILL BE DIFFICULT. SECURE OUTDOOR ITEMS AROUND YOUR RESIDENCE AND OTHER LOCATIONS SUCH AS CONSTRUCTION SITES SHOULD CONSIDER SECURING LOOSE OBJECTS.....HEAVY RAIN WITH POSSIBLE THUNDERSTORMS WILL BE POSSIBLE DURING THE FRONTAL PASSAGE. MORE WIND AND RAIN FORECAST THURSDAY THROUGH SUNDAY WITH POSSIBLE FLOODING

For further information go to:
http://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/wwa/

Additionally (and not surprisingly) the swell forecasts are quite foreboding.

NOT a good weekend to be on, on or even very near the ocean.

As they used to say on Hill Street Blues, "Very careful out there."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm supposed to go diving at Lobos Sunday.

I have my fingers in my ears and am humming so I can't hear you.

:depressed:

I have a rescue class scheduled for Saturday, so I think we are in for a bumpy ride.

I have a rescue class scheduled for Saturday, so I think we are in for a bumpy ride.
I would ask often if the class is cancelled before ever bothering to pack the car. Be prepared to cancel once standing on the beach. I have seen classes go into the water when they shouldn't many times. Of course I have gone into the water when I shouldn't have, and paid for it in lost gear. Point being you yourself can call the dive if you are not comfortable.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/norcal/439306-learning-limits-update-newbie-weekend-dives.html

I have no issues with calling it if I'm not comfortable. I already had a dive in 2 foot vis on a mildly rough day and never plan on diving in anything like that again; just no fun. We met Monday an our instructors said they rarely cancel this class and to plan on showing up. We don't have plans to really go under so we just will get tossed about quite a bit and if its too much they mentioned going to tour the deco chamber. Either way should be a wet weekend if forecasts hold true to this wonderful storm system.

I'm looking at Weather.com and Accuweather.com. All have winds coming from the south. If this is the case, the Monterey Peninsula should provide very good protection. You'll probably be a bit more exposed in Carmel. I'm going to the Breakwater on Saturday. The best dives that I've had in Monterey were during storms with southern winds. Monterey was super calm and the water was crystal clear. If conditions don't cooperate, I'm not going in the water. No harm done, if I can't dive. I can always go hiking through Point Lobos.

...We met Monday an our instructors said they rarely cancel this class and to plan on showing up.

This is the well-known phenomenon known as "Sacramento Syndrome", and that's not just a local term: I heard it used during one of the seminars at DEMA a couple of weeks ago. Sacramento Syndrome is one of the leading causes of dive fatalities in Monterey...and elsewhere.

I was at Breakwater last Sunday during some of the most miserable conditions I've ever seen there. We counted a total of two other divers the whole day except for one group that was obviously a class. They were a truly pathetic looking lot as they came crawling out, and I would be willing to bet none of those students continue with diving after that experience.

Bruce

This is the well-known phenomenon known as "Sacramento Syndrome", and that's not just a local term: I heard it used during one of the seminars at DEMA a couple of weeks ago. Sacramento Syndrome is one of the leading causes of dive fatalities in Monterey...and elsewhere.

I was at Breakwater last Sunday during some of the most miserable conditions I've ever seen there. We counted a total of two other divers the whole day except for one group that was obviously a class. They were a truly pathetic looking lot as they came crawling out, and I would be willing to bet none of those students continue with diving after that experience.

Bruce

That would have been the UCSC scuba class and they rocked it considering the conditions that day. Trust me, all of them are ready to kill each other signing up for the adv class once the new quarter starts.

This was what it looked like at the Breakwater around Noon-early afternoon. Contemplated, but sound mind prevailed. If you were on a boat and not too far from shore, you might have better luck. There were no white caps at all in the bay and it actually looked quite calm away from the shoreline. I didn't check out McAbee or Lover's point.
463669_533772053299522_2089172790_o.jpg

I'm supposed to go diving at Lobos Sunday.

I have my fingers in my ears and am humming so I can't hear you.

:depressed:

3D diver, Keep humming. We'll try again next weekend. I might even have my light ready by then.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom