week one dive report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

waterpirate

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I was saving this till I got back, but to brighten up the mood in here I thought it would help.

Arrived sunday afternoon with plans to dive monday through friday:
Pompano beach, diving with the new kids in town Pompano dive center

Monday
Tornado watch and heavy building seas/ nogo

Tuesday
flat seas and no current. destination rodeo 25 to warm up and get our game face on. max depth was 120 run time was 51 minutes on 25/20. visibility was 50' with one very large barracuda gaurding the wheelhouse. felt good to be wet.

wednesday
flat seas no current again! destination hydro atlantic. max depth 162 runtime 63 minutes 25/20. visibility was 70' with clouds of small fish just off the wreck. The resident grouper was large and in charge going well over 350#. it was like seing a swimming volkswagon jetta. I bent the sh*t out of my duo by not pressing gas switch button at 40fsw. I am fine, note to self.... push button next time

thursday
flat seas again!! wow current smoking. destination hydro atlantic. max depth? run time 71 minutes. dropped into the engine room and was duly impressed. they are some biiig engines in there! Mr. swimming jetta was present again and we got within 18' and now think it was a swimming micro bus. the hang had us in a 2 knot current and the use of a jon line was mandatory. duo was still bent this morning so I used a cochran and was happy with the profile it yielded vs. my cut tables.

friday
good ground swell with current, normal now. destination guy harvey. current was smoking crack today!!! it pulled the mooring ball down to 14' after the mate tied us in. going down the line felt like home. visibility was 75' plus. max depth 143 runtime 78 minutes on 25/20. the wheel house was covered withyellow stuff that looked like daiseys. I was wax poetic untill I nearly got ripped off the wreck by the current! back to business at hand. deck was colapsed and allowed a good soak out of the current. we made a complete circuit around the exterior which was like running a marathon given the current, back inside. saw a couple small grouper darting around the bottom holes in the wheel house. jon line was mandatory agian for flying hang. Duo still bent, once again I was happy with the cochrans profile vs. cut tables. note to self, bigger screen is easier on old eyes.

next weeks report still to come. the folks who have set up residance at sands harbor marina complex POMPANO DIVE CENTER are very good people with on site lds,boat,fill station with mix for back gas and the ability to fill stages as well. they are also breather freindly. I would highly reccomend them for anyone wanting to see the wrecks in pompano.
Eric:D

Great report, I am so jealous! I cant wait to get out of this cold weather.

Nice report Eric.
Whenever I use my Nitek (Trio) with helium I usually just put it in gauge mode, it just can't keep up.
The 1 time I did, it wanted me to stay at 10ft for an extra 16 minutes compared to my V-Planner with a +4 setting & doing a shorter dive & not quite as deep as planned.
I dropped it down a gear line while waiting on the other divers to get it un-bent.
Worked fine after that.

Just went back over report, why 25 o2/20 He, or is that 20 o2/25 He ? I will run 26% nitrox down to 160, but if I was doing Helium I would knock down the 02.
Just curious as I haven't run any times to see any advantage or not.

Hi RAD,
I ran 25/20 and got a 8 minute benefit over 21/20. Since I cook my own gas I usually dive what I consider the "perfect mix" for any given dive. I also do what I consider working dives if spearing and like to keep po2 at 1.4 or less. I got here with old mix and that is what the shop filled me back to as tanks were labeled as 25/20. It all worked out. Yesterday I did another dive on the hydro, but the giant grouper had moved on. Current was minimal vis was down to 50'. Today the weather pushed the seas up early, and another tornado watch so nogo. High hopes for tommorow.
Eric

Sweet I have the Hydro on my list of deep dives next trip down there, taking any pictures?

I dropped it down a gear line while waiting on the other divers to get it un-bent. Worked fine after that.
Yeah, and I was on that line.. Imagine my surprise when a perfectly fine computer can sliding down the rope. Wasn't that the Far East Tanker dive? :D

Met a really nice guy that works at the shop here. Grayson sp. He has the go pro video cam on top of his goodman handle and was on a bunch of dives I did. He said he put them up on utube. I will ask him for titles or links today. Seas went flat after storm last nite, I think its a go for today.
Eric

Yeah, and I was on that line.. Imagine my surprise when a perfectly fine computer can sliding down the rope. Wasn't that the Far East Tanker dive? :D

Sure was, but at least you couldn't hear that beeping sound that was driving us crazy on board.

Eric, glad you get to run today, look forward to those links.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom