Weekday diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kstakem

Contributor
Reaction score
Any thoughts on where to go for weekday diving? I know Millbrook is closed. I just looked up lake rawlings and they are closed too.

O-ring, do I remember you saying people dive off of Solomons Island?

Anyone else try diving in the Chesapeake?? Or is it just too bad?

I found out Willow Springs is open during the week. Its about an hour and a half north of me (30 min north of Harrisburg)

Never Tried the Chesapeake but have heard its bad.

You can go there during the week if you call and make an appointment. As a matter of fact, Wednesday is half price diving...Tombiowami and I have dove it on a Wednesday and it is highly recommended...we were the only people there for most of the day.

O-ring, do I remember you saying people dive off of Solomons Island?
Rolf and I heard this from Ron at Sea Ventures, but have never tried it. I definitely want to try it one of these days though...if you are up for it we can try it sometime.

--E

Ken, DaveO, and I are tentatively planning a dive(s) for Sunday at Millbrook...anybody else in? (our VA Beach got cancelled by Rolf).

I might be up for Sunday!

I currently have plans but have the feeling they may fall through.

Kevin -- you up for check out willow springs some time? Hmm... Its probably a bit of a trek for you, but let me know!

Not bad.
Big quarry, nice diving platforms, one of them is right in the camping area, so you can dive virtually straight from the tent :), on-site dive shop with Nitrox fills available (though not sure what for), lots of stuff on the bottom including a real 70’ fishing boat. Temp was in lower 60’s.

But visibility is poor, actually it sucks, and depth is < 45’, though I think there is small 52’ hole near campground, at least, my computer logged it. :wink:
I personally did not see a single fish or any life for that matter (not implying that there is none)

I say that for some classes (or dives) it's definitely worth the drive (3 hours from Bethesda), and for others Millbrook is better.

I would be up for a trip to Willow Springs. I guess its about an hour and a half to Millbrook for the Baltimore people right? So thats about the same distance. I just realized that next week is pretty much shot for me. I will be fishing in NC :egrin: but the week after that is open. God time flys...

Sunday, I am out. I will be at Rawlings but you all have fun and visit the bus for me :tease:

Lemonade, was the vis like 5 - 10 sucks or worse than that?

...plus thick and fuzzy layer of silt on the bottom. After a class of "Silt Monsters" (that's how the instructor called us afterwards) passes through, you won't be able to see gauge clipped to your waist for a long time. Have to say, though, it was cloudy. No clouds & no silt from the bottom - I would imagine, you might get 10-12' vis. or perhaps even better.

I'm about 2 hours from Millbrook, but I'm a bit further notrh of Baltimore. I'm guessing Willow springs is about an hour and a half north of me.

Maybe closer to 3 hours from DC...

There is this place up by Westminster MD that does diving on Wednesday evenings. It is kind of cool. The shop does a dive or so and then have a BBQ. Starts around 4:30 or so.

Vis isn't too bad and there is come cool fish/plant/rocks there. Nothing sunk down there so not much to see below 25'

.... to empty out the BC or wing bladders as best you can before hitting another quarry. Don't want the zebra mussels thing getting out of hand....

There's a new 30' u/w nature trail in one of the parks in MD. It was in one of the Adventure Scuba flyer. Didn't seem too far.

As for the Chesapeake... well I agree with Matt. May be better on the other side... It might be worth a call to Annapolis Scuba (410-266-8327) for recommendations on possible shore dive areas.

Have fun!
Ken

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom