Weekend Dive Plans 9-10 Sep 06

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey Ben,

My fiancee and I will be in Monterey on Sunday. We're leaving Davis at 5:30ish AM and will arrive around 8:30ish. Hope to get about 3 dives in. Then we're driving home afterward. I think we will probably dive Breakwater, but am open to any suggestions. I want to practice deploying our SMB and some basic skills. :D

Where are you going to be diving?

Minh

Sorry Minh,
Got my dive fix in today... let me know in the future when you are going out and I can demo a bag shoot for you :)

I dove Macabee today heres the short version

Vis 15 ish in the kelp opening up to 20 @ 40 FSW

Lots of krill, pipefish and senoritas... a couple of lings rockfish, lemon nudi's and spotted my first Abalone here in Monterey.. there was a pack of 6 of them wedged in tightly in a crack

We found a big wheel.... with spokes ... reminded me of a wagon wheel... but it had gears also.. maybe from a pump or steam engine.... it was in about 23 FSW to the left (Aquarium side of Macabee) Maybe Chuck knows about this... I should have shot a bag and surfaced to take bearings so I can find it again

Ben_ca:
...We found a big wheel.... with spokes ... reminded me of a wagon wheel... but it had gears also.. maybe from a pump or steam engine.... it was in about 23 FSW to the left (Aquarium side of Macabee) Maybe Chuck knows about this... I should have shot a bag and surfaced to take bearings so I can find it again

I think that's the wreck of the Gypsy (or something similar sounding). The steam engine is still there too, all concreted over with "stuff." Click on the link, scroll down to the map.

http://www.saintbrendan.com/cdnjuly03/CCoast7.html

That makes sense... maybe I'll go look for the rest of the pieces next time.... Lot's of life down there and the vis was pretty good..

I did two dive at Pt. Lobos and a third at Monestary on Saturday. Short version - Vis was between 15-30 ft (depending on which dive) Weather was terrific. Saw the biggest Ling I have ever seen. My buddy speared 4 fish in 20 minutes at Monestary (I couldn't hunt as I didn't have my licence. :shakehead I will post a full dive report in the trip reports forum. I would dive Pt. Lobos again any day.

boingophreak:
I did two dive at Pt. Lobos and a third at Monestary on Saturday. Short version - Vis was between 15-30 ft (depending on which dive) Weather was terrific. Saw the biggest Ling I have ever seen. My buddy speared 4 fish in 20 minutes at Monestary (I couldn't hunt as I didn't have my licence. :shakehead I will post a full dive report in the trip reports forum. I would dive Pt. Lobos again any day.
Didja know it's illegal to possess a speargun in Pt. Lobos, even if it's locked in your
trunk and doesn't get wet?

I did three dives at Breakwater. The first dive was a refresher dive with my fiance. We just practice basic skills, and then followed the rockwall. She had scuba dive since our OW checkout.

Our second dive (with a friend who was leading) was suppose to be along the rockwall. However, it turned out to be a lesson in navigation. We surface swam out to about the 7 marker on the wall. We were about 30 yard from the wall. We looked back, and knew the wall was on our right. Descended and then swam right. Swam for a really long time, and realized we might be going the wrong way. I ascended to see where we were. We had be going the wrong way. So I took a heading (with my compass). Descended and headed towards the wall. But since we had burned through so much air, we decided to just dive back to the entry area. Like I said - good reminder that we should just always take a compass heading.

Third dive was awesome! We surface swam back out to the 7 marker on the wall. Took a compass heading. Descended and then headed in the correct direction. Swam out and saw a few seal swimming around us. We were all excited. Kept on going, and then we had sea lions swim around us. My fiancee loves seals and sea lions, and that's the biggest reason why she got certified. She was freezing cold, but had a blast. It was a great dive over all.

Overall, a great weekend of diving. My fiance got a good lesson in descending. In our OW classes, we descended feet first. This time, we practiced descending feet first for the first 5 - 10 feet. Then make a control descend while in the horizontal position. Made it so much easier to control our descent. Also made it so that we didn't hit the ground and kick up all the silt.

We are getting married on Saturday. Then it's off to Cozumel for some more diving. :D

Minh

BTW - Breakwater was DEAD this past weekend. Parking along the Breakwall was no problem at all. When I did my OW cert about a month ago - parking along the Breakwall was crazy. And two weekends ago - the breakwall was also packed.

Is it normal for Breakwater to be this slow at this time of the year? Or did I simply got lucky and went during a dead weekend? There didn't seem to be too many classes going on this weekend either.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom