weight belts or integrated?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Okay, I might as well get my two cents in... Being 6'5" and 245 lbs, covered up in 6 mil john and jacket, I need weight... and more than a little. I find that keeping too much in any one place makes staying horizontal interesting. MY solution is keeping some in the BC, which I like wearing a little high,, and some on a harness, which I actually wear closer to the hips than to the waist. I get a nice balance. The BC isn't too heavy to carry, and in the unlikely (I hope) event that I need to remove it, at least my air isn't sinking while I ascend, or vice versa. Yes, to dump ALL the weight would envolve 5 actions (pocket, pocket, waist, chest, chest), but how long would that really take? And would I really want to dump ALL the weight? (Andy rocket....)

I am going to revise my vote... I was out Sunday and a friend was with an insta-buddy and he accidently forgot to check his weight pocket was clicked in place. I spent my second dive helping to look for the lost weight. this was the second time I have seen BCD integrated lost. this one was a clip in the other was a velcro. I am yet to see anyone accidently dump a weight belt. In fairness, neither of these instances happened in a way that posed a hazard to safety, but they can be inconvient resulting in scrubbed dives. Anyone else ever seen belts or integrated weights lost? Might interesting to get a straw poll going.
I've found probably 12-15 lost weight belts. I have found probably 5 lost pockets of lead and probably 15 bags of lost shot bags.

Lake Travis in the winter gets to lower 50's and in the summer mid 60's at depth and mid 80's above the thermocline. I sometimes wear just swim trunks, or a 3mil or a 7mil using either an AL backplate or a SS backplate.

I use neither integrated wet pockets or a weight belt. I hardly ever have much air in my wing and my trim is good. Life is good.

I didn't read the whole post here - but I'm a belt person, I dive in the neoprene pouch type which I love. That said, as a girl I don't have a problem with the belt sliding down or anything.

The reason I don't like intigrated weights is I still dive with about 14lbs of weight even though I'm small, and having that much weight in my BCD makes tank chages a huge pain in my ass.

I've found I like to used a DUI weight harness to spread out my weights. I need the harness because a weight belt falls off because I have not hips. It's nice to have some weight in the harness so that if you need to take your BCD off to get untangled, etc, you'r not going to go flying to the surface if all your weight is in your BCD.

I also find I can use my body to "throw" the weight in the harness up a little further towards my back (since I don't keep the waist too tight) which makes it more easy to get your head down to where you want to take a photo while keeping your body off the reef.

Soo I use a harness,the typical integrated BC pockets, and weight pockets that are part of the BCD that are higher on the tank.

Went for my open water cert last weekend and couldn't keep the weight belt up (no hips or ass) so I will complete it this weekend using the DUI harness. Wish me luck

Sent from my SGH-I957M using Tapatalk HD

Just got back from a trip to Guam. I took all of my gear, except weights (I have a Zeagle Tech BCD -weight integrated), so I had to rent a weight belt. Forgot how much I hated them. Never realized how used to the integrated weights I had gotten.

I saw the price on the DUI and then I saw something called dive suspenders that clip to your weight belt, however, not sure about quick release.

Sent from my SGH-I957M using Tapatalk HD

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom