Weight in drysuit pockets

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IIRC those Faber tanks do have negative buoyancy even when empty, so they should NOT actually be causing you to add lead. Your buoyancy is coming from something else.

I used to have an odd couple, one Alu80 and one steel 96, and didn't like mucking around with my weight belt to match whichever one I was diving with. The Alu80 has nearly ten pounds more buoyancy when near empty. So I took ten pounds off my weight belt, melted it down into a disc, and used silicon seal to glue that to the bottom of my Alu80. Now the tanks matched.

I'd say to figure out where the buoyancy is coming from, which way you need to be trimmed, and then consider using lead sheet or lead shot (sewn into a sleeve as needed) to make whatever trim weight you need, where you need it. There are some things (like a 1/4" full farmer john(G) that simply require ballast, tanks or no tanks.

This isn't a buoyancy issue/needing to add weight for buoyancy. It's a trim issue with shorter tanks.

Are there other ways to attach tail weight easily besides the pouches that go on the lower bolt? Is there a way to get tail weight lower on your body?

I sometimes clip weight to my tail d-ring. Negative fins and ankle weights are also an option, but usually you can manage the bubble in your wing to compensate if it is so little weight. If you're wearing a drysuit then it's even easier as you just keep a bit more air in your shoulders.

Back
Top Bottom