Weight integrated or not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kikit24

Registered
Reaction score
I'm interested in purchasing a BC and am not sure whether to buy one with or without an integrated weight system. I was told by my instructor that it's better to wear a weight belt because you can distribute the weight evenly. Please let me know what your opinions are on this matter.

I was thinking about getting the Mares V1 MRS BC . Is this the same as the Vector 1000 MRS. They look exactly the same. Let me know if you like this BC. Thank you.

Don't read to much into that magazine's interpretation of good gear..............If you do decide to go the BC route, integrated. I seriously recommend you look at the BP/Wing setups. They are becoming very popular and having that gear allows you to pursue the DIR direction later on (I dive a back inflate BC at the moment).

I am a weightbelt fan myself. Keep it simple unless you are diving water that is cold and requires so much lead on a belt to make it unmanageable or uncomfortable.

m2c

I have to concur on the BP wing setup. I traded in the weight integrated bc I had. (Mares Dragonfly) With the integrated weights in place it was cumbersome unless you just had a few pounds per pocket. Much more and you feel like the Michelin man. Do some homework on a BP wing. It will last longer.

I dive a weight-integrated Zeagle Ranger, and love it for two main reasons:

1. I'm short-waisted and don't have room for a BC and weight belt without one being over the top of the other.

2. I've got no butt to keep a weight belt from sliding down my legs.

However, since I've been on this site, I am considering a couple of changes. First, when wearing a heavy wetsuit I may try to find a way to wear a belt with enough weight to compensate for the suit. That way I can remove the BC underwater to resolve a problem without having to worry about taking the express train to the surface. Second, if I were starting over again, and didn't already own the BC, I'd be looking into the BP/W. Not that I plan to join the DIR cult, I just like making my own stuff and saving money.

Just my experience:
I had frequently back pain after dives while diving with a weight belt. These back problems disappeared immediatly when I bought my weight integrated BC.

I bought my integrated BC (Zegle Zena) after the first 2 pool classes for my OW cert. The weight belt couldn't/didn't hang right on me (I'm short waisted) and caused me a great bit of pain where the weights sat on my hips because I have fibromyalgia. Once I got the weight directly off my hips all was right with the world again!!!

Laurel - The Frog Queen
:froggy:

I'm not sure about other people but I can wear a weight belt with a weight integrated bc. In fact, a friend of mine does. A lot of people wear both. (think lots of weight)

Why not try the weight integrated and buy it if you think it is ok. If you change your mind you can use a belt. The other way around does not work.

kikit24:
I'm interested in purchasing a BC and am not sure whether to buy one with or without an integrated weight system. I was told by my instructor that it's better to wear a weight belt because you can distribute the weight evenly. Please let me know what your opinions are on this matter.

I was thinking about getting the Mares V1 MRS BC . Is this the same as the Vector 1000 MRS. They look exactly the same. Let me know if you like this BC. Thank you.
Stay away from integrated weights. They are bulky and a pain to insert and release. For times when I do need some weight, I use a weightbelt. (With two buckles.) It's simple and it works.

I wouldn't purchase anything based on the recommendation of Roadales. Roadales commenting on diving is like me commenting on brain surgery techniques. As suggested above, I also recommend checking into a BP/wing setup.

I dive with intergrated weights, and i find if you dive regularly it really causes back pain, due to the extra weight you are carrying on your back instead of your hips. This is especially true if you have to walk a distance/down the beach in your scuba gear

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom