Weight Integrated safer than weight belt?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been diving since 1989 and I can't say that i've had a belt buckle failure. I have known many that have lost weights form the integrated BCs, however.

For belts, I stuck with the metal buckles (chances of failure are nearly zero). Removing them are simple if they are put on LAST and not FIRST (just the way I was taught and validated through my personal experience).

There is alot of good information in these posts. Aquamaster hit it on the head regarding a "spread-eagle" position. I haven't seen that since my training days. And Rick seems to always have something good to say.

The other comment regarding removal of the BC (containing the weights) hits home as well. I've had to remove my BC before to adjust the strap, not often, but it does happen once in a while. While assisting with a class, I've had to do with several students as well. In these situations, a belt would greatly assist in keeping you under control.

Bottom line, I think it really comes down to preference. I know some that prefer an integrated BC. I prefer a belt.

Thanks for all the great information! I will probably get a weight integrated when I do purchase, but won't worry about using a belt if we rent gear this trip. Our instructor did teach the flare on emergency ascents, BTW.

Regards,

Gary

I've the DR Weight System and it's very well cosntructed, I think that chances of accidental opening are minimal.

I used for years the Scubapro weight belt with pouches using soft weights, every now and then, it came loose a bit, but never unbuckled.

I switched to Integration due to comodity and I still use the belt for gear storage (SL4 light, spear tips, signaling devices, ect) if the dive ask for more gear.

All points are valid, just make sure that you choose a well designed Integrated system if you choose to do so, don't buy the first system that the vendor shows you.

One technique that I use before spending cash is to research the gear I want and make my mind on what I want, then I go to the store and ask especfic question about that gear or particular brand, usually I know more about the system than the vendor at the shop, and end up teaching him about the gear I want, after that, they look at me diferently and some times ask me what I think. Next time at the shop, they won't try to sell me the cheapo in stock brand that most shops have to sell to the average joe on the street.

Remeber that many shops don't make a living out of selling specific high end gear which usually is more expensive than mass produced gear.

I don't claim to be an expert diver, I just like to make informed desicion when spending my cold hard earned cash!

Enjoy you dives at Maui, hope to get there some time!
Dive safe
Mandy

Hi,

I'm not an experienced diver, but the LDS I deal with is very good with equipment setup and recommendations. I went with a weight integrated BC, but I also wear a weight belt. The weight is distributed between the ditchable weight pockets, trim pockets and the weight belt. If I were ever to get myself into a situation where I'd need to ditch weight, I'd ditch the belt. (They also told me I should never ever get myself into that situation if I'm diving smart/safe.) The belt is easier and less costly to replace. Also, in addition to the metal buckle that came with the belt, they placed a plastic buckle on my belt as a backup.

Hope that helps.

I have never heard that anyone has lost its belt but seen a few whose pocket has dropped cause not put into place good enough.

So...

You all have good points about the weight. And a weight belt failure is always something to think about. I know that a Intagrated BC can also get fairly heavy, if all your weight is in it.

There is another option. There is a Company at custom dive tech that offers a weighted vest that goes under your BC. even if the worst case happens and you loose the weight pouches on the sides. The 8lbs in the back of the vest will help keep you from flying to the surface.

This is my 2 cents worth. Allenwww.customdivetech.com

jeh:
Hi,

I'm not an experienced diver, but the LDS I deal with is very good with equipment setup and recommendations. I went with a weight integrated BC, but I also wear a weight belt. The weight is distributed between the ditchable weight pockets, trim pockets and the weight belt. If I were ever to get myself into a situation where I'd need to ditch weight, I'd ditch the belt.
I also have this weight dilemma - I have ProQD+ (with clips - not velcro), and have my weight distributed between the belt, the BC weight pockets and the trim pockets. I'm beginning to think that I'd like to go back to more weight on the belt, but the problem I have is that I can't easily get to the weight belt with the BC on. I know of last on first off, but this won't work with my setup. I use a 7mm suit so the weight is not insignificant, but If I had the opportunity to dive warmer waters I'd probably then put all the weight in the BC.

Also, I have a feeling I'm overweighted, but at 10 to 12 ft, I always find myself struggling to stay horizontal....

I suppose that, I'm a tad overweight (ie me, not my dive gear) doesn't help....

While diving for 10 days in Cozumel this summer, I found two different weight pouches lying in the coral. Apparently they do come out some times. I also once saw a belt buckle open on impact on a routine entry when the diver's hand came off the buckle. I guess either one can fail.

"Standard" weightbelts aren't very comfortable. I found that they ride down on my hips and dig in when I'm walking to and from the water. They aren't so uncomfortable in the water, but they can trap air in the lower part of a drysuit.

I'm currently using (renting) a Seaquest integrated weight BCD. I put the weights in after I put it on. I definitely agree the velcro fasteners could potentially be pulled open.

My AOW instructor has a DUI weightbelt with his Oxycheq BP/W. That looks like a nice system, comfortable, too. He's very happy with it. One of my dive buddies just bought a Halcyon BP/W and their "integrated" weight system. It also looks okay, with less chance of an accidental weight loss than a velcro system, but it's hard to insert the weights with gloves on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom