Weight of Kydex plate and Hog Harness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

black1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Tobin what is the weight total for a large Kydex plate with complete Hog Harness as sold by you all, is it roughly 2 lbs or more? thanks

Thank you, I didn't see it add my weight.

When you add the items to the checkout, the weights are shown.
Large Kydex plate = 1.83 pounds
Plate and hog harness = 4.83 pounds

Those are shipping weights, i.e. an estimate of the weight boxed for shipment.

I can get an actual weight later today.

Keep in mind that the shipping weights include both the box, and an untrimmed harness.

Tobin

Tobin what is the weight total for a large Kydex plate with complete Hog Harness as sold by you all, is it roughly 2 lbs or more? thanks

Medium Kydex + Trimmed harness is about 3.2lbs.

I'd caution you that focusing on the dry travel weight of the Kydex plates may reduce your baggage weight, but often a SS plate is a better choice in the water.

The difference in dry travel weight between a Medium Kydex and Medium SS plate is a little over 3 lbs.

Tobin

Yes i have both a SS and Kydex from your great company, thanks again Tobin. I prefer the SS over my lungs.

Last edited:
I love my Kydex plate and am still scratching my head when I'd need a SS plate.
With a steel 100 in the back, an AL40 stage, gear, torch, etc. and a 3mm with hood, gloves, booties I do not need any weight - or air in the wing to be neutral at the surface.
It's silly but I love the feedback the Kydex provides when the wing is inflated. It bends a bit and hugs your back.

I agree that SS is often a better choice for many divers but so far I have not regretted the Kydex choice but then I sometimes get in planes were they weight everything, passengers and luggage - so weight matters.

I love my Kydex plate and am still scratching my head when I'd need a SS plate.
With a steel 100 in the back, an AL40 stage, gear, torch, etc. and a 3mm with hood, gloves, booties I do not need any weight - or air in the wing to be neutral at the surface.
It's silly but I love the feedback the Kydex provides when the wing is inflated. It bends a bit and hugs your back.

I agree that SS is often a better choice for many divers but so far I have not regretted the Kydex choice but then I sometimes get in planes were they weight everything, passengers and luggage - so weight matters.

In a 3mm suit with a steel tank the Kydex plate is the right choice. A SS plate would overweight you.

OTOH if you were using a 7mm suit you'd likely find the ballast a SS plate furnishes a welcome addition.

Tobin

Tobin,

I agree.

I have indeed put two small (XS Scuba) velcro pockets on the lower tank band. These can hold up to 4lbs of weight each. They prove useful to balance weight with a 7mm suit as you point out or when using AL80s.

Thanks for making great products and providing no BS solid advice,
JL

In a 3mm suit with a steel tank the Kydex plate is the right choice. A SS plate would overweight you.

OTOH if you were using a 7mm suit you'd likely find the ballast a SS plate furnishes a welcome addition.

Tobin

Back
Top Bottom