Weight Suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm 6'5" 240 and during all of my OW classes I was struggling to control my bouyancy with 26#'s on a pool 5' deep. When I was asked to see where I float with nothing but a bathing suit my instructor said, "We're going to need a bigger pool!", as I sank to the bottom.

I now dive with 8#'s with a steel 80, I add 4#'s so I don't float away while doing a safety stop, just cause I can't find two 1 pound weights =)

Wys aka the human lead ball!

wysmar,

Lol, during my time in the military I had a physical trainer who was just like you although, he's a little more buoyant... he sank to about 4 feet LOL!!

Anyway the point of diving is to sink not to float so you soooo lucky!

As for the finding a 1# weight, why don't you make your own mini v weight and bolt it to your plate?

SangP

Snag...

I guess I'm fortunate that I don't have to carry so much weight, makes beach dives that much easier. I think my solution is going to be to add weight to my cylinder via a band or on the boot, but since I still rent my tanks I don't want to run the risk of leaving the band on the tank.

Also, I'm not a tech diver... I use a Balance BCD. Not that plates and wings are exclusive to tech divers.

wysmar:
Snag...

I guess I'm fortunate that I don't have to carry so much weight, makes beach dives that much easier. I think my solution is going to be to add weight to my cylinder via a band or on the boot, but since I still rent my tanks I don't want to run the risk of leaving the band on the tank.

Also, I'm not a tech diver... I use a Balance BCD. Not that plates and wings are exclusive to tech divers.

First a point:
Boyancy is hightly influenced by body fat index.
I used to float like a cork at 265, but now at 225,
I cannot sustain float in a bathing suit snorkling.
I found that how the hard way :wink:

Second, a question:
I would like to know why you want to strap weights to
your tank? I put my weights in my BCD pockets
with platic blanks to keep them forward and low
in my horizontal profile for even, easy swimming.
I imagine having to fight keeling over with tank weights.

Could you please explain this? I fail to see the advantage of
tank weights.

Regards.

MasterGoa

MasterGoa:
Could you please explain this? I fail to see the advantage of
tank weights.

Regards.

MasterGoa

It's not because of convenience, but rather because I need to add 2 pounds distributed evenly on my bcd. meaning one pound on each side. Until today I had not been able to find 1 pound soft lead shots (Most of the ones I found were sold in 2 pound increments) Therefore, the easiest way to add the necessary weight would have been to add a single 2 pound weight right down the middle on a tank band or boot.

But that is no longer an issue.

As far as Body Fat... well I used to be a lot lighter, but 8 years of happy marriage will do things to you!
My current BMI of 28.5 says I'm overweight so I should be positive in the water, just like you at your heavier weight, but it's the total opposite, as a matter of fact I know I have always been negative (physically speaking anyways):D

I hope this clears things up for you.
Wys.

MasterGoa,

It all has to do with maintaining a horizontal trim. I'm leg heavy and when I use a weight belt or place the pockets on my waist strap I tend to sink leg first and that's even when I'm in a modified frog kick position.

That's why I place the weight pockets on my tank bands to raise the center of gravity to compensate.

This was posted on an earlier thread and it shows how you can place weights all over to create better trim.

SangP

Ah!

Excellent!

I never really payed attention to vertical trim,
so yeah, playing with weights like that will help!

Wysmar: It's because she want to keep you
that she filled you up :wink:

tparrent:
I will never understand how people can say a certain weight is too heavy or too light without knowing anything about the diver's body type/ experience/ skills.

Put me in a 5mm with 16 lbs and I guarantee you I will float like a cork.

Last week I was in a 7mm with a steel 72. I carried 34 pounds and you know what? It was the right weighting for me on that day with my body/experience/skills.

A valid point. An equally valid point is that too many divers are overweighted. If the 34 pounds was indeed "the right weighting" then that's what you need to use.

MasterGoa:
Ah!

Excellent!

I never really payed attention to vertical trim,
so yeah, playing with weights like that will help!

Wysmar: It's because she want to keep you
that she filled you up :wink:

LOL MasterGoa!

I was up to a hefty 260 at a point and said that's enough... My goal is 220, but I seem to be stuck at 240. Oh well!:shakehead

You are not stuck, you are comfortable :wink:

I went from 261 to 209 and then put on muscle
back to 220-225. I decided I was uncomfortable
at a higher weight.

Think about it.
You stay where you feel good.
You have to convince yourself that there is a "gooder"
place to be, and go!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom