Question Amount Of Weights Used With XDeep Zen?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wallowa

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
With an XDeep Zen, steel plate, full 7mm hooded two piece wet suit [gloves/booties], 80cf Al tank and max depth 100 feet; what amount of weights do you add in fresh and/or salt water?

Thanks....!

I would use 4 lb and 10 lb, but that's with a new XXL 7mm wetsuit. Much will depend on your body composition and how new your wetsuit is.

A proper weight check in confined water or a pool will tell you what you need to know. The salt-water adjustment (once you have a handle on a fresh-water number) will be to add about 4-6 lb for a body weight of 125-210 lb and average salinity.

I would use 4 lb and 10 lb, but that's with a new XXL 7mm wetsuit. Much will depend on your body composition and how new your wetsuit is.

A proper weight check in confined water or a pool will tell you what you need to know. The salt-water adjustment (once you have a handle on a fresh-water number) will be to add about 4-6 lb for a body weight of 125-210 lb and average salinity.
No pool available but have a close 40 degree lake :cool: Forgot to mention new custom 7mm farmer john suit with hood....my weight 170 @ 5' 9" and low body fat [old man!]...first BPW set up although I have been diving for decades...new game for sure...nice to get back to diving with a harness and crotch strap!

Thanks for the figures....needed a starting point even after using balanced rig calculator on this forum...

FWIW, a farmer john will be more buoyant than a one-piece (the basis for my numbers). Don't forget to flood the suit, or else you'll need more lead than on a real dive. (Tip: use warm water before you even get in.)

You could ballpark it before going to the lake by finding out how much lead takes to sink the suit by itself in a large trashcan of water or hot tub. (I would guess that would take at least 18 lbs.) Subtract 5 lbs for the steel plate and try that to start.

FWIW, a farmer john will be more buoyant than a one-piece (the basis for my numbers). Don't forget to flood the suit, or else you'll need more lead than on a real dive. (Tip: use warm water before you even get in.)

You could ballpark it before going to the lake by finding out how much lead takes to sink the suit by itself in a large trashcan of water or hot tub. (I would guess that would take at least 18 lbs.) Subtract 5 lbs for the steel plate and try that to start.
Yup thanks.... +18lbs on suit and XDeep NX steel plate is -6.8lbs....w/Zen, SS adapter and steel plate they equal +15.6 lbs...lot to juggle but I am getting there....the 'balanced rig' calculator is golden to a point, but I had to adjust some gear weights...proof of the pudding will be tomorrow weather permitting I give my setup a buoyancy check in Wallowa Lake....after that the trimming process!

Appreciate your input....

Bare XLT 7mm fullsuit and a SS Zen in fresh water with an AL80 I use 14lbs

Bare XLT 7mm fullsuit and a SS Zen in fresh water with an AL80 I use 14lbs
Wow...that is a lot....thanks for the info....I will tote along extra weights to add on if needed.. hopefully since I am smaller I will need less weight....

Back
Top Bottom