Weight

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hope this might be of help.

Go to a swimming pool. If the LDS that you took your cert from has one, this would be the best place. Stop by and ask if it would be ok to use the pool for a bouyancy check.

Show up with the same gear that you dive with, i.e., wet/dry suit, BC, etc.

Assuming you are at the LDS, ask them for a tank (aluminum) that has about 1,000 to 1200 psi left in it. Steel is ok, but a little guy like me, zero wgts and stl tank and I sink like a rock.

Outside the LDS, rent a tank, slow bleed it to 1,000 to 1200 psi.

OVER WIEGHT yourself by 10#, this extra 10# needs to easily accessible for discarding.

Go to the deep end. Deflate, as you sink, lean a little to the right, this helps the air to migrate to the left top and out.

Settle on the bottom, face down, slow, normal breathing; you should be nose down on the concrete. BC completly empty. Avoid large deep breaths, relax -- slow and normal.

Take off 2#, slow normal breathing. Are you still nose down, or did you rise a little.

Continue reducing in 1 or 2# increments until you just hoover a few inches above the concrete.

Hoovering in this casel, or what we call a fin pivot, for bouyancy is not really hoovering.

Fin tips will remain in light contact with the concrete, as you reduce your weight you should strive to reach the optimum wieght that will allow you to just hoover above the bottom a few inches. Once you think you've achieved this, place your hands at your navel, relax, slow even breathing AVOID DEEP BREATHES, with each breath you should rise and fall slightly, but never (upper body) touch the bottom. Do this for a few minutes, to make sure you are consistant.

Almost done. A deep breath could cause you to rise, mm, to much at the wrong time.

Add about 2 or 3#, now settle on you knees, take a really deep breath. If you took a sudden rise, say more than a foot, add a 1 or 2#, less that a foot you should be ok.

Getting closer. BC tweeking, this is done with small amounts of air, and wait a minute or so for it to take affect. If you add, even small amounts, to rapidly, without delays, the accumalated effect may shoot you to the surface, and that's not what you want.

Don't forget to check your remaining gas available.

Start tweeking your bc with gas, small amounts added, until your knees lift off the bottom, add just a little more so that you (knees) will be up off the bottom. Now, your slightly off the bottom (about 2 feet), cross your legs (if you can, like sitting on the floor) hold em with your right hand, left hand on the inflator, you may have a tendency to sink, but NOT RISE and thats ok. Keep tweeking the inflator until, with normal breathing, you just hoover (total body now) about a foot or two above the bottom.

By now you should be getting LOW on air, maybe around 500 or 600#, your ok cause your in a pool.

Now for the finally. Sudden deep breaths will cause you to rise, sometimes uncontrollably. As soon as you feel yourself rise, exhale, followed by a shallower breath.

At this point your wgts should be pretty close to your neutral bouyancy wgt. You must be a little heavy at the end of your dive to make your safety stop.

Dump a small amount of air, you should sink a little, take a deep breath. If rose a lot, dump some more air, until you only rise a foot or so. Now, to achieve this; you may end up dumping all the gas from your BC, and having to add a small amount of wgt to counter a large rise problem (little lungs vs large lungs).

So now you are probably below 500# of gas. As you know, you don't want to end a dive with less that 800 - 1,000 psi (preferably 1,000). There will be a small amount of added wgt factor with your remaining gas at the end of your dive

The pool is fresh water, salt water you'll need to add 5# or more depending on your size.

I think by now you figured out this little process and how it works.

Most divers will be a little overwieght, better to be a little over than be light at the end of the dive. But we've learned, over time, what works best for us.

Overwieght, what works for one may not work for another. Overwieght can be just as dangerous as underweight.

Overweight, you could sink uncontrollably and no amount of inflation will check your descent, and you have to ditch wgts, and then the possible problem of a rapid uncontrolled ascent.

Underweight, best case is you can't get under the surface, worst case is your light at the end of the dive, and for some reason you suddenly start rising and can't stop it.

Bouyancy is important, take the time to work on it. And I hope this of help to you.

Carl

Hope this might be of help.

Overweight, you could sink uncontrollably and no amount of inflation will check your descent, and you have to ditch wgts, and then the possible problem of a rapid uncontrolled ascent.

Carl

??? how much weight do you have to have on to sink a fully inflated BC?

??? how much weight do you have to have on to sink a fully inflated BC?

It depends on the bc, and even the size of the bc (larger sizes have more lift). It usually lists the "lift" on the tag of the bc, or at least in the owners manual or on the website if you don't have the owners manual.

If it's big and comfy with lots of foam padding, chances are really good that it'll take 10lbs just to sink the bc without any air in the bladder.

Im having the same problem... im 320 lbs and when i dive with no wetsuit im good with 16 lbs.. but with a wetsuit i tried 20 lbs and nada.. i just float there.. i have to swim hard to the bottom then im somewhat ok.. im trying 25 lbs tomorrow when i go out.. the wetsuit makes things so much harder (as in boyancy)

well I think as long as I live out here I wont need to bother with a wetsuit :D
have just been and bought some tropical gloves though. Had to hold on to some rocks during the safety stop due to the current and sliced open my finger and palm. Won't make that mistake again.

On the good side finally saw some sharks on my second dive of the day :D

Overwieghting and, BC or Backplate & Wing (BP/W) lift capabilities.

There is no pat, died-n-the-wool answer because of the many variables that have to be factored in. Sticking with BCs and leaving the BP/W out of the equation.

Divers have had near fatal and fatal accidents due to being overwieght. Tech divers are trained and experienced for these types of conditions.

The key word "trained".

Up front, apologize for being lengthy.

Hopefully this link will work, old dog new trick?? If not copy and past, and watch it. It gives a whole new perspective of overwieght and uncontrolled descends.

YouTube - Fatal Diving Accident Caught on Tape

I'm guessing you are a recreational diver, and you want to enjoy it as such.

As a rec diver, overwieghting is dangerous, it demands more energy (above and under), consumes more gas, more gas in your BC, etc. It can also lead to added stress, going against a current (pushing the extra load), what if the BC fails or malfunctions - can you swim yourself up to the surface, uncontrolled descents or ascents, to heavy to ascend, etc. Good buoyancy skills are not learned easily or QUICKLY. It takes time and several outings. Some get it quickly, others it takes time.

A BC is not an overwieght compensating device, it's for buoyancy control with the correct or near correct amount of wieght. Remember your BC is not for wieght lifting, it is to help you maintain your attitude in the column of water, with minimum tweeking of adding or dumping of gas.

My first experience, around '69 I think it was, steel tank (negative), hard plastic mount, mask, fins, trunks, I don't remember wgts in the picture, you literally had to be able to swim up from depth. BCs have added a hole new deminsion to diving.

Hopefully, a short lesson. Keep in mind this is for recreational diving only. Tech divers are a whole different story.

This may not be the answer your looking for, but theres more to diving than just grabbing a bunch of wgts, doning your gear and jumping in the water.

Buoyancy control is 1 of many indication of ones skill level. One that has less than 10 dives, but has master buoyancy control, verses one with 50 dives plus and is still fighting buoyancy problems. Who's enjoying their diving? Ok, someone will probably grind the foregoing up, talking about buoyancy only.

There are many factors that affect buoyancy, some are personal (body makeup,etc), and other factors are the equipment that make up diving gear.

Personal:

Physical make up as in, muscle, bone and fat are personal factors affecting ones buoyancy. A lot of muscle, low fat, and dense bone one is less buoyant, more body fat, less dense bone mass, etc, one becomes more buoyant.

Lung capacity, some people are like cummins engines, some are like the little kowsaki ones. The difference between a full lung and empty lungs will equate to pounds of wieght differences. That's why in the previous comment I suggested avoiding deep breathing.

Now, moving on to gear.

Exposure suits add buoyancy, suits will give the maximum buoyancy at the surface; as you descend, that buoyancy decreases.

BCs - BP/Ws will almost retain a small amount of gas, but as you descend, likewise their buoyancy will decrease.

Trapped gas in padding, between the air bladder and cover, and so forth. Alum tanks, as the pressure decreases, the buoyancy increases (I may be corrected, but I believe Alum 80's @ 3,000 psi are a negative 4#, but around 600# are a positive 1 1/2#s). As the depth increases, and due to compression of the gas, the buoyancy of suits, BCs, etc. changes.

Its like the ballon you learned about in the intro classes. Blow up a ballon at the surface, but at 99' it has decreased in size - and proportionally it's buoyancy capability has decreased.

Most recreational divers do not have a lot of negative items/gear.

I believe that you'll find that the optimum wieght will be the amount that will allow you to make a safety stop at 15', empty BC and nearly empty tank. BUT, I said BUT, who wants to risk (recreational) ending a dive with less than 400#s of gas, from a 99' dive, apply the rule of halfs, stop for one minute at 45' +/- for 1 min, 1 min @ 25', and 3min at 15'. That's where the pool comes in, if you can get it right there, then you have a base line (wieghts) to work from. This is a base line amount, you'll be tweeking it with each dive until you get it right.

Once you've established this base line, say 10# in the pool, add 2 #s for a total of 12#, go to a lake - ok it's only 40' or 30' depth, have fun, end the dive with around 1000#, slow ascend to 20' and stop. Can you maintain a cross leg, hover within 2' up or down, tweek the BC, go to 15' and repeat. Dive ends, you think, mm, really could have done without the extra 2#s, next time use 10#s, repeat.

Sea (salt) water is 2.5% denser than fresh (pool / lake) water, so in salt water you'll need to add more wieght, again depending on your make up 5-6# is a good place to start.

Now, how much wieght is to much or how much is to much for a BC to lift.

This will get into the Archimedes Principle: if an object is in the water, partially or totaly submersed, is buoyed up (forced up) by a force equal to the weight of the fluid displaced. Simply, if your overwieght enough that the amount of water that you displace cannot / will not support (force up) your total mass - your going down. And if your seriously overwieght and can't check your descent, O boy, express elevator to hell.

So, bottom line, don't worry about I'm using this much and he's using that much, what should I be............Go to the pool, establish YOUR base line of wgts, got to a lake, dive, have fun and repeat practice. Shallow lakes are great for simple skill builders, so you are ready for the important ones.

Dive safe, enjoy, and tell about.

Carl

I weigh 245 and dive with 24lbs of weight (no wetsuit)

In Cozumel last year the dive master insisted that I dive with less and I couldn't stop at the safety stop. Lucky I did a gradual ascent. I would rather have the excess weight and then use the BC for bouyancy.

jb...

Im having the same problem... im 320 lbs and when i dive with no wetsuit im good with 16 lbs.. but with a wetsuit i tried 20 lbs and nada.. i just float there.. i have to swim hard to the bottom then im somewhat ok.. im trying 25 lbs tomorrow when i go out.. the wetsuit makes things so much harder (as in boyancy)

I know my 3mm adds about 6lbs of buoyancy. My 7mm adds 6-8 more. I weigh 175 so I'm guessing that your wetsuit is significantly larger, and more buoyant than mine. Adding 4lbs ain't gonna cut it. I would start with at least 8, probably 10, and back off if you are a little heavy at the end of the dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom