Weighted SMBs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanshin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
What's the general opinion about weighted SMBs? (An SMB that has a weighted band around the open side. It weights about 1lb or maybe a bit less.)

I have one that I'll replace when the opportunity comes up. The weight is trivial relative to the total lift, so it doesn't seem to do much, but it does make it a pain to carry around.

The weight it negligible in most. I find that if you're able to bend the weights it can make it easier to open and keep open the bottom of your SMB when filling. If your SMB has a baffle then you're all set, no need to worry about the SMB closing around your hand or losing air on the surface.

Personally I just fill my SMB's manually through the oral inflate. I find that the weights don't help the SMB to stand upright, it can only help to keep the bottom open when filling. If your weights are rigid and can't be bent then they won't help you at all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom