Weighting for a newbie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Neilwood

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Just finished my OW course and having read a few posts, I am wondering about my weighting.

From my log for the OW dives, it appears that I was wearing 14Kg (30lbs) on my first 2 dives and 16Kg (35lb).

My kit was 7mm wetsuit (3mm hood, gloves & guessing 5mm boots) BCD (jacket but can't remember the details) & weight harness. Not sure of the type of cylinder but IIRC it was a 100

I am 6'3 and probably about 230-250lbs.

I did seem to be pretty neutral in that initially dropping down was a slight issue however when under (between 6-10m), I only needed the slightest amount of air in my BCD to maintain buoyancy.

I guess the weighting wasn't too bad but it just seemed like a lot of weight especially on the walk to the shore!

Hard to say, without more info. Saltwater or fresh? The type of tank makes a big difference as well.

Regardless, best way to answer this question is to do a proper buoyancy check which you should have done as part of your OW course. If properly weighted, while holding a normal breath with no air in your BCD the water should be a eye level.

Even with more info we would all be guessing at best whether you were properly weighted or not.

In answer to your points, it was salt water and IIRC steel tanks.

I know it is all relative but it just seemed a heck of a lot of weight to be carrying (especially on land). I reckon adding the weight of everything (weights, BCD, Cylinder, fins, mask, gloves etc) together it amounted to something like 70lbs which is a lot to carry for about 1/4 mile. Might have to invest in a barrow for future trips!

Remember it is not what an item weighs on the surface but what it weighs in the water. It sounds like a lot of weight, but different people have different buoyancy. In cold water with a 7 mil 2-pc, hood and all. I am close to 30 lbs with an AL tank.

It sounds like the weight is about right because of the wet suit. I fI wear the DS (100g undies) i need 20# if i wear my harvery 3mm farmer john i need 20# that gives me 6mm on the core and 3 every where else. I am using double steel tanks and steel BP as part of the 20#. I would suggest you go to a pool and do some weight loging. Log the variables and add them up.

1. youself +3
2. your rig with 4-500 psi. -4 tank -6 BP -2 web belting = -12 hang it on a fish scale in the pool
3. you in your suit (33) - your self (3) = +30

that alone gives you a total of +33 and -12 for a ballance of +21

for salt water add 2.5% of your weight in gear .025* say 200(your self) + 80 (gear) or .025*280 for about 7#

now your ar right at 30# light that you have to comp for.

I guess the weighting wasn't too bad but it just seemed like a lot of weight especially on the walk to the shore!
My OW dives were in 7mm suit and corresp. amount of lead. The entrypoint has a 1000-step staircase (with apologies to Bonaire) from the parking lot down to the water: some 30 steps down and then 970 up.

Edit: it's a staircase, actually but it sure felt like a ladder on the way back.

Last edited:
Neilwood,

I suggest ignoring any attempts to prescribe your weight. The variables are endless making remote predictions a shot in the dark.Take what you know as a starting point and go dive. At the end of the dive go through this exercise and see what that tells you.

Pete

Also understand that that weight requirement will slowly drop as you gain experience and comfort under the water.

I'll throw my 2 PSI in......I don't prescribe to the add weight when you're a newbie and you'll drop lead as you become more experienced school.
I teach weighting should be correct from the start and the learning will be easier.
Example:
An over weighted student will add air to the wing instead of breathing, there is much less control with an inflator and this large amount of air will expand quickly causing positive buoyancy and result in frustration and possible injury. Too much air has too much dynamic instability and makes learning more challenging.

I prefer to get the diver to get the weighting correct, only use the BCD to get neutral and make adjustments with the lungs.

So, using the actual weight required makes the diving and out of the water tasks much easier.........
If your interested in proper weighting checkout a "balanced rig" on the Google.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom