Weighting - Help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

frogfish

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Did a first pool session as part of the Decompression Procedures training this week-end. For the first time I was carrying doubles (with 100 bar...), an aluminium backplate and a Halcyon wing.

I did actually struggle a bit to stay at the bottom of the pool. The instructor said that I should not be using any weights and that I should stay in control using my fins.

In a recreational config I normally use 10 pounds of weight with a 3mm suit and am neutrally buoyant for my safety stop. As I just bought a new suit, I add one weight.

What should I do ? I feel I should wear a weight belt with one weight on when using the double config.

You should get a better understanding of diving and buoyancy in general before going further with your "Decompression Procedures" training.

You might also consider what will happen when your doubles are near empty rather than at 100bar.

Charlie99:
You should get a better understanding of diving and buoyancy in general before going further with your "Decompression Procedures" training.

You might also consider what will happen when your doubles are near empty rather than at 100bar.

Well I have several hundred logged dives but would by no means claim that I am an expert in diving; however I am fairly confident in my buoyancy skills when using my regular equipment.

With several hundred dives, you should be able to figure out the answer to "What should I do ? I feel I should wear a weight belt with one weight on when using the double config."

Hopefully, your experience will have also taught you that there is a significant difference in buoyancy between the various models of tanks, and that it is ridiculous for someone to advise you on weighting without knowing whether you have a pair of buoyant aluminum tanks, or a very negative doubles set.

Nor, with your experience, should you need someone to point out that, if you are struggling to stay down in a (freshwater??) pool, that you will be positively buoyant in the ocean.

frogfish:
Well I have several hundred logged dives but would by no means claim that I am an expert in diving; however I am fairly confident in my buoyancy skills when using my regular equipment.

You have to go back to square one. Do a buoyancy check and get properly trimmed out. Take an hour or a week for it but get it sorted and you'll feel much better and have more free attention for the other things you're supposed to be learning.

R..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom