Weights for integrated pockets

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hard weights take up less room in the pockets, but 1) tend to slide around more, and 2) put more wear on the pocket. I get around the sliding by having 2 blocks in my SeaQuest ProQD velcro pockets. Wear is just getting to be a problem on one of my BCDs after about 350 dives and countless hours of bouncing around on boats. On my slightly newer SeaQuest ProQD, the weight pockets are just a tiny bit bigger and a 5 pound weight doesn't rub hard on the pocket.

Soft weights take up more room. On some BCDs having the higher volume soft weights makes getting stuff in and out of the zippered storage pockets harder.

Consult the manufacturer's recommedations first.

If you can use either, then it comes down to what works best in the pocket. For example, in my BC non-ditchable pockets (at the shoulder blades), it is really uncomfortable to use hard weights there.

I dive a Zeagle and bought the additional yellow pocket inserts that hold your weights in place and are separated by a piece of velcro in the middle to further reduce weight shift. I have been very pleased the the performance and buoyancy control with this set up.

But again, it really boils down to preference.

Good Luck!

bentex:
I dive a Zeagle and bought the additional yellow pocket inserts that hold your weights in place and are separated by a piece of velcro in the middle to further reduce weight shift. I have been very pleased with the performance and buoyancy control with this set up.

I agree, the "yellow thingies" are great for a Zeagle BC. The "Sea Pearls" brand soft weights are very effective and you will really appreciate the difference the first time you ever drop one on your foot. eyebrow

# 4 or 6 lead shot at gander mountain 14.99 a 25 lb bag. They havs some nice little heavy duty nylon bags for about 6 bucks a set. Fill the bags and stitch closed.

I used to only use the soft weights but I can get more weight into my pockets using hard weights. If they're uncoated.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom