Weird Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mr.X

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I decided to dive Back Beach. A place I've never gone before. It's a mildly interesting dive. :blinking: Did not break a depth of over 26' even a 1/4 + mile offshore. Viz ranging from 5' - 30' at various points. Saw a few skates, undersized lobsters, small Cancer crabs and tons of derelict lobster traps trashing the bottom. They were all over the place as I covered a wide range of ground as I was scootering.

During the dive I found a black Samsonite briefcase underwater which seems to have been there a few weeks, or perhaps month as there was slight mottling from new barnacle/bryozoan growth. It was locked and had a string around it. I decided to take it back to shore which was easy as I had the scooter. Weird.

Onshore I decided to open it up to see contents and ID the case should there be a owner. I didn't fear anything incendiary, or dangerous. There were some curious onlookers, including a child & probably his grandmother. Not knowing what was inside I felt it best to move the child away whereupon the female caretaker declares it might contain a G.U.N. That statement elicits a natural response from the 4-5 year old child who rattles off - "what is a G.U.N. several times before being yanked away by the huffy caretaker. Weird part II.

I open up the case and inside, it's loaded with two bricks. A practical joke for divers.:blinking: A good attempt. The craptastic Samsonite case and bricks were deposited into a nearby trash can. Best part of the dive is being able to scooter vast expanses of sand and having your pup friend there to share a doggy dive. :D

X

Attachments

• Case.jpg
    Case.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 101
  • Doggy Dive.jpg
    Doggy Dive.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 109
I decided to dive Back Beach. A place I've never gone before. It's a mildly interesting dive. :blinking: Did not break a depth of over 26' even a 1/4 + mile offshore. Viz ranging from 5' - 30' at various points. Saw a few skates, undersized lobsters, small Cancer crabs and tons of derelict lobster traps trashing the bottom. They were all over the place as I covered a wide range of ground as I was scootering.

During the dive I found a black Samsonite briefcase underwater which seems to have been there a few weeks, or perhaps month as there was slight mottling from new barnacle/bryozoan growth. It was locked and had a string around it. I decided to take it back to shore which was easy as I had the scooter. Weird.

Onshore I decided to open it up to see contents and ID the case should there be a owner. I didn't fear anything incendiary, or dangerous. There were some curious onlookers, including a child & probably his grandmother. Not knowing what was inside I felt it best to move the child away whereupon the female caretaker declares it might contain a G.U.N. That statement elicits a natural response from the 4-5 year old child who rattles off - "what is a G.U.N. several times before being yanked away by the huffy caretaker. Weird part II.

I open up the case and inside, it's loaded with two bricks. A practical joke for divers.:blinking: A good attempt. The craptastic Samsonite case and bricks were deposited into a nearby trash can. Best part of the dive is being able to scooter vast expanses of sand and having your pup friend there to share a doggy dive. :D

X

That is weird... I once found a large Pelican box on the bottom in 40' water when I was scallop diving off of Mount Desert Island. When we finally got it back on the boat there was much excitement... Pelican Box=waterproof. When we opened it all that was in there was a big granite rock. So much for my retirement fund.

Back
Top Bottom