Weird Eel Fish in Lake Millbrook?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DennisC

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello, Today I was diving in Lake Millbrook and me and my buddy saw what looked to be a big eel. It was much bigger than a bass, it seemed to be 2 1/2 to 3 feet. I have no idea what kind of fish it was, it honestly looked like a moray eel but obviously they don't live in freshwater. We next thought it might have been a snakehead, I'm not sure if they live in there and this seemed to have a more eel like tail. Has anyone else seen this or might they know what it is? Sorry for no photo i left my GoPro at home :(

It could have been a bowfin. It looked more like an eel than the bowfins in the pictures I looked at online but that could have just been my imagination. Hopefully I can see it again and have my camera with me. Thanks

Could also be a snakehead...they have been found around that area state wise.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Of course, it could have been an American eel. They migrate up some pretty small streams. I and my kids have caught them up small creeks above dams. Three feet is bigger than the ones I have caught but I have seen them over two feet long. Wiki says 20 inches but I have eaten bigger ones than that. I have a lets try anything son. The one we ate tasted like veal. Very fatty. Oil would come off as we cooked it.

---------- Post added July 26th, 2015 at 03:41 PM ----------

Here is a video of an American Eel American eel video - Anguilla rostrata - 00 | ARKive
Is this too slender?

definitely could have been an eel but I don't remember the look exactly. this was 2 years ago. the eel looks very close though if i remember correctly. If it wasn't an eel it was definitely baby nessie!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom