Weird feeling about scuba diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the responses everyone! I'm not going to let this feeling I got as a kid put me off diving, I just loved it so much! Apparently my smile when I got out of the water was worth paying for alone haha. Hopefully I'll be doing the PADI Open Water course soon.

Thanks again, Harry.

I snorkelled most of my life before scuba. I never really feared scuba, but I thought "why would anyone want to go that deep in water?", or something like that. Then we moved to the E. coast and trying scuba made sense. Odd thing is I never felt weird about descending way more than I ever could snorkelling. I always am keenly aware of my depth, because the deeper you are, the further away from all that air you are, and any problem will be magnified. But there is no fear of depth. Yet, when I go for a swim from shore and walk out to water close to or over my head, or snorkel down in water 10-12', I still get the heebee jeebees. That's weird. Maybe it's because there is no tank on my back?

when I was on holiday in Portugal and saw diving masks for sale in the shops it just made me feel uncomfortable...

Maybe you just had a fine sense of financial danger :D

You mean the feeling of your whole body and brain telling you: You're in the water, you're under water, you can't breathe! Don't even try! You're gonna drown!

That? :tongue:

Is this a common sensation people get? Because my feeling is "oh good, I can breathe, everything is good. What? What the hell do you mean you want me to take the regulator out of my mouth. No! That's where the air is!"

Back
Top Bottom