Weird weight problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The first time i dove in a 7/5 the shop told me to try 24lbs. Unbelieving I tried 18lbs and floated like a cork. Mind you that was with jacket BP. I found even after a dozen dives i needed less and less. The suit has just been replaced under warranty, so be interesting on the next dive out.

Thickness of exposure gear, how new it is, the water you are in, and other equipment used all are HUGE variables in weighting. In our LDS pool, with a 72 cu ft tank diving in swimwear only I use no weight. In the ocean with a full 3 mil wet suit and 80 cu ft aluminum tank I use 12 to 14 pounds, depending on my present weight, which varies). A new wet suit will cause me to add about 2 pounds until it has had 25 hours or so under water, and breaks down a little. Always do a weight check and get properly weighted when diving with new gear and in a new environment. I note all the variables impacting weighting in my log book and have a data base from it for proper weighting in different locations and gear set ups. Also, other equipment can impact weighting. Many lights are the equivalent of adding 1/4 to a full pound of weight, as are many camera and videos set ups. Weight your self in accordance with the gear you are carrying on each dive.
DivemasterDennis

I think adjusting weight for camera gear or lights is foolish as they can be dropped. Sad but I have seen it happen with camera gear more than once. If a light is mounted in such a way it can not fall off that is fine. I don't think your camera or light make that much of a weight difference. I think being a couple lbs heavy is smart. All the DM's in Coz were diving 10 lbs or more heavy for customers who failed to bring what they needed. I am not suggesting 10lbs heavy but saying 10lbs did not seem to bother them at all. I no longer try and hit that magic perfection weight. :D

I usually dive with no extra weight using a SS backplate/Al80 and wearing a 3mm suit, so when I went diving in a rental two-piece 5mm (farmer john style) and a jacket BCD, I refused to believe I'd need more than 18lbs... Had to go back to the boat for more weight before I could get down comfortably. Twice. :-(

Keep in mind that wetsuit neoprene is full of air bubbles. This is what gives you the thermal protection. Over time these bubbles can compress while diving which I would guess the previous wetsuit had happen to it, as they all do. So yes a brand new wetsuit would new significantly more weight vs an older one that has been well loved.

Diving in a new environment can also lead to a more stressful situation which can lead to more frequent breathing, taking deeper breaths and in general feeling less comfortable in the water all of which can increase the difficulty in getting under the water.

How old are your 3mm's? Is it possible they are compressed, and you are comparing that to brand new neoprene? :idk:

True dat. My 6-year old 3mm wetsuit takes the same weighting as my dive skin :/

I use 16lb on my 7mm with kydex backplate.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom