Welding versus Medical O2?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Captain Brian:
The minimum % for welding gas is 96% or it will not work. The minimum for medical gas is 94%.
It may be that the lower allowable O2 percent for medical O2 is so that one can use a pressure swing absorption O2 generator. Kind of like a membrane system on steroids, it can remove pretty much all of the N2, leaving about 94% O2 and about 5% argon. (Argon being the largest component of air after O2 and N2).

It might be easy to manufacture your own Stik in your garage, but I doubt if the general home builder could do it himself without some level of coaching. If the design is that obvious, people would be able to figure it out for themselves with out help of any kind, and I don't think that is the case. Selling plans to build someone else's invention is also an infringement on that intellectual property.

If the idea was so simple, why did it take over ten years to go from Dr. Well's inital concept to Mr. Cowell's useable design?

Reverse-engineering someone else's idea is easy. Coming up with your own novel solution is hard and requires imagination that most people lack.

Derek..

I don't have any special tools except the hand drill. I already made two mixers with PVC pipe and it works very well. I have two O2 sensors and check every tanks and it shows the same content rate.

It isn't a rocket science and magic and got the idea from Oxyhacker's book. If you really want to argue the patent thing, you might need to sue him first because most home builders read his book and keep it as a bible for this kind of project. I don't think you have any chance to win the case against him though.....

Good luck...

BTW, just out of curiosity, how many units have you sold so far?

Maybe Mr. Cowell had better things to do with his time than spend 8-10 hours a day for several years thinking like a geek. I'd like to think he spent some of that time having a beer and tipping at the local nudie bar :D Maybe he had a life :11:

Scuba Duck:
It might be easy to manufacture your own Stik in your garage, but I doubt if the general home builder could do it himself without some level of coaching. If the design is that obvious, people would be able to figure it out for themselves with out help of any kind, and I don't think that is the case. Selling plans to build someone else's invention is also an infringement on that intellectual property.

If the idea was so simple, why did it take over ten years to go from Dr. Well's inital concept to Mr. Cowell's useable design?

Reverse-engineering someone else's idea is easy. Coming up with your own novel solution is hard and requires imagination that most people lack.

Scuba Duck:

Hell even I can answer that one... good ole American red tape.
They might have been concerned about other patents as well. :D

Charlie99:
Trolling for business Andy? We all know that a patent is really defined as a "license to sue to try and prove that someone is infringing".

nope, i am not an intellectual property lawyer, and patents are way above my head

Scuba Duck:

i would say lack of market interest. alternatives exist which are already in place, and there's no great demand to build a better mousetrap

Ok, I'll coach :)

Take a pipe. Put virtually anything in it to create some turbulent flow/eddies. Baffles, disks, wiffleballs, marbles, basically anything inert. Try to keep the cross-sectional arae of the compressor inlet = to the amount of area between baffles. Plumb the bottom of the stick to your compressor with O2 sensor inline.

Read you compressor manual. Take 12% of rated capacity in liters/min.

Start compressor

Open O2 regulator and bleed 12% of compressor capacity in L/min into stick. Medical or Avaiation O2 are best, welding O2 is commonly used too.

Check O2 percentage on analyzer. Should be close to 32%, maybe a little less.

Compressor capacity will decline as pressure rises. Adjust O2 flow to continue to make 32%.

Can I have my patent now?

United Scubadivers of America (USA)
Special patent
Cat: DIY
Inventor: RJack
A novel device to mix air and oxygen consisting of a PVC pipe stuffed with dog hair felt or, in an alternate embodiment, used wiffle balls.

Previous art: NASA invention consisting of overpriced pastry mixing tube

IMPRIMATUR
:lotsalove:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom