Well, are there divers left in Hawaii?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Al Mialkovsky

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I live through your stories and photos, nadda, nothing, come on, throw an old guy a bone here@!@!!!

here boy ... fetch ... good boy .... :p

sorry Al, I've been outta the water for nearly 2 weeks (sinus congestion :( )

But at least I get to go hear about diving tonight at class!

The reason the water has been empty lately is due to the chilly weather ... it's been 73* in the water (brrrrr) and mid 60's on land (Jackets and sweaters abound even in Lahaina) Of course I don't expect any sympathy from you in our great distress :wink:

Aloha, Tim

Oh my 73, how do you guys handle that, miserable I tell ya.

But thank you Tim. Are there many getting certified now? I've changed shops over here and became a Y instructor if you can believe that. What the heck, more cards and dues, that's what it's about right?

Wow - that's a big change. I'd love to hear your impressions on the change in agency. I have great respect for the Y's program... but no, I still won't bow when you show for our next dive together :wink: (I might ask to see your new card though :) )

Aloha, Tim

I'm still with SSI, just no longer teaching at the shop I worked for. Jill quit there a few months ago and it was only a matter of time for me. The Y program is a solid one in my opinion but like anything else it could be screwed up by someone if they really tried. I'll try to behave.

They allow an instructor to teach on his own and order cards direct unlike SSI. I'll remain active with SSI for now, never know how things will work out once I get my butt over there this summer.

sea nmf and WERE going to go out tomorrow, then I double checked the surf forcast to see that it was not going to be very nice. I am going out Sunday though... so I'll tell you how that was!

We did e-beach a couple of Sundays ago and it was BEAUTIFUL. Vis was almost to eternity, current was easy and we had a lot of fun. Had to watch out for a spear fisher over the pipe though... I didn't think that was very safe with all the divers and snorkelers that were coming and going...

Well I'm going out tomorrow, it's supposed to be a really nice day, no rain or snow, just cloud and local info has it that the water is still a little over 40 degrees (42) and that vis should be up close to 5 feet.

Man is it going to be sweet, I'd take pics to share them with you guys but, close your eyes, that's what it looks like :)

You checked the surf forecast :)? Hmm, I am going out tomorrow, west side, I checked the surf forecast...and it won't stop me...

sea nmf and I are not as adventurous as you! If we are going to go to e-beach, then we like it flat, or as flat as possible. You have fun though!

Hi Al,

The big news here on Maui in the dive world is all about Dive and Sea Maui. They just launched their new custom dive boat this morning. There was a beautiful, traditional Hawaiian blessing and then John and Emi took a bunch of us all out for the virgin voyage. I forgot my camera but there were lots of shots taken so we'll get some up here soon. It's a really sweet boat. The sea was glassy and plenty of turtles came up to welcome it, the Sundance III, as we waited for our turn to approach the dock. It's certified for at least twelve, maybe fifteen divers but they're gonna run at 6 for a while. I'm really proud of both of them. John and I have been good friends since 1985 and we've made hundreds of dives together. This boat was a dream he's had for many years and now he's finally getting to live it. You'll see it when you get here!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom