Well - now I've done it.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Boogie711 once bubbled...
I've figured out the shoulder straps and D rings so far, but I've given up for the night on trying fo figure out waist strap configuration.

Let me know where you are having problems and maybe we can talk you through it.I also have a digital camera to take pictures if needed.

Boogie711 once bubbled...

My concern about going BP/Wing in the class is that the shop doesn't do BP/Wings - it's just 'recreational.'

A BP/Wing is not just for technical diving. As you will see later, it does recreational diving just as well.

I'll probably still end up buying my regulator there, but like any LDS, they get a little ticked off if you don't buy your gear there.

Who cares what they think? If they don't sell what you desire, they are to blame.

Secondly, my understanding (and again, all of my knowledge is theoretical, not practical) is that a BP/wing would be uncomfortable without exposure protection, and wouldn't most of the in-pool in-class stuff just be done in shorts and a T-shirt? It's a 12 pound rig in and of itself. I suppose I could go find an ABS backplate, but to be honest, I would never use it again and I'm not looking forward to fitting the harness once, much less twice.

It would probably be ok with a T-shirt. However, I would just wear a wetsuit for added comfort and the extra bouyancy it will provide to help balance out your 12lb rig. If you are doing training, chances are you are going to be in the water for a while. In that case, a wetsuit is a good idea anyway.

My other reason is simply experience - I'm brand spanking new. I figure I should at least TRY a jacket and a back inflate BC a few times, right?

Sure, try everything you can...You will just come back to the BP/Wing most likely...with an understanding of why everyone raves about them here. Most people don't go back after trying a BP/Wing...I certainly never will. Try a bunch of BCs and give each one an honest evaluation.

If you have any questions, I'm sure all the BP guys here will be more than happy to help.

Back
Top Bottom