Well, the good news is I finally got back underwater.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TSandM:
One of the things I've learned the hard way is that, if you can't go down at the beginning of the dive, you can't STAY down at the end. Essentially every dive I've done where I had to be helped down, or had to swim down at the beginning, has ended with buoyancy problems due to inadequate weight. This was true even at the beginning, where some of my descent problems were definitely technique-related.

Lesson learned!LOL! There was another couple who never got all the way down, and then were too tired from trying to get more weight and go back in. Hey, at least I was able to keep my feet down. I had floaty feet syndrome during certification and couldn't stay upright for anything!

cummings66:
Being totally relaxed is the key to success. After getting ready to dive, float in the water a couple minutes and relax, enjoy the moment. Try to avoid being the last diver in because typically they're not going to get any rest, be near the first and you'll have time to relax. Do as you did and be close to ready so that all you have to do is pull up the wetsuit, don the BC, reg and mask and hop in. Put your MOF (just kidding), just hang there and watch the others kit up and you'll find it helps.

As choppy as it was, it was definitely more relaxing below the surface than at the surface! LOL@ MOF! :D

On the first attempted dive, I did take my mask off my face briefly.... It got water inside, and I couldn't get enough control of my breathing to purge it, so I took it off, shook it out, and put it back on!

vondo:
Just wanted to say "Good for you" for not diving that first day. After spending a bunch of cash to get down there, taking off work (I presume), a bunch more cash to stay in a hotel, and another bunch of cash to be on that boat, it can be really difficult to say "Not today," so good for you.

It's also amazing how many of the accident reports we see begin with "I should have known better, I wasn't getting a good vibe..."

Yeah, I blew some cash on the trip, but oh well, at least I lived!LOL!:wink: I thought about doing the second dive on Sunday, but my legs were so tired from finning, that I figured I'd just be happy with having gotten ONE dive logged.

Some "shouldas" that I can come up with are:

1) Instead of getting to town just in time to jump on the boat, make sure I have time to try equipment on leisurely and find out if I can try them in water before going out on the boat.
2) Get weighting figured out before any future dives.
3) If I'm not ready to go in, DON'T go in.
4) If I start to feel tired, cut the dive short, don't push it.

I may be a flaming liberal, but I'll happily be a conservative diver!

Xanthro:
BC style can make a huge difference. For some jacket style feels too constrictive and makes breathing harder than it needs to be.

Gear can make a big difference in your diving experience, and I'd suggest you not use that BC you used if it's causing you additional stress.

Congrats on the dive though!!

The "bad" BC and the one I used successfully were both jacket style, but there was a world of difference in the way they fit. I don't have the cash to buy one yet, but when I do shop around, I'll look at different types.

The BC had a wide velcro strap across the middle

The dreaded cumberbund! These things are made for high class waiters and low class highschool band recitals. They have no place in diving!

If you are looking for a way around the cumberbund, there is only one way to go!

I do not like cumberbunds.

For example, the way it has to go through straps to connect to the BCD and pull it towards your body; the way it has a negative impact on the island girls; and the way velcro sucks.

I will stop here because my hate for the cumberbund is too powerful to discuss publicly.

-V

Vayu:
The BC had a wide velcro strap across the middle

The dreaded cumberbund! These things are made for high class waiters and low class highschool band recitals. They have no place in diving!

If you are looking for a way around the cumberbund, there is only one way to go!

I do not like cumberbunds.

For example, the way it has to go through straps to connect to the BCD and pull it towards your body; The way it has a negative impact on the island girls; and the way velcro sucks.

I will stop here because my hate for the cumberbund is too powerful to discuss publicly.

-V

LOL! Yeah, it was excatly like a cumberbun! I am sorry to dredge up such bad memories for you. I will not mention it again! :wink:

Lisa0825:
I figured that unless I bought the BC from a dive shop, I wouldn't be able to use their pool to try it.

You generally pay to rent pool time, so trying out new gear is part of what pool time is for. But you don't have to tell them it's new (or new to you). Just reserve the pool at the LDS, tell them you want to get wet prior to a trip, and to do a quick gear checkup.

They should not have an issue with that regardless of where you purchased the stuff! :05: If they do find another LDS. What you want to avoid is to go waste hours of salesman time trying stuff on, getting advice, etc... and then making an online purchase. That might ummmm.... make them upset.... :11doh:

RonFrank:
You generally pay to rent pool time, so trying out new gear is part of what pool time is for. But you don't have to tell them it's new (or new to you). Just reserve the pool at the LDS, tell them you want to get wet prior to a trip, and to do a quick gear checkup.

They should not have an issue with that regardless of where you purchased the stuff! :05: If they do find another LDS. What you want to avoid is to go waste hours of salesman time trying stuff on, getting advice, etc... and then making an online purchase. That might ummmm.... make them upset.... :11doh:

I didn't know they'd rent pool time. I thought it was just for their own use for sales and classes. Thanks for suggesting that!

I shop for various things online, but I wouldn't use someone's storefront for in-person inspection and then buy elsewhere. If they pay the overhead and I make use of their facilities, it's only right to share the cost, IMO. I'll be going to a meeting this week with a local club, so I am sure they'll have some input on places that can help me out with equipment.

Every instructor /divemaster /expert/ that I have been around will try to under weight a new diver. Diving is to be relaxing and most of us know how relaxing not being able to decend is.
A few more pound of lead to start with will allow a new diver to at least get down with out a fight. This will allow the diver to get under the surface chop[which is very un-nerving for some]. I far as I am concerned there is no better way to stress someone than to underwieght them.
If you are marginally weighted at the start of the dive it will be a very short safety stop with a boyant tank.

Worry about trim and shedding pounds after the comfort of breathing under water is achieved.

scubanick:
maybe a dumb question but what is MOF

It refers to the "Mask on Forehead" monster thread. (shhh.... It took me a bit to figure it out myself!LOL)

Lisa, glad you're okay... but you're right - rushing around like that before hand couldn't have been good. Key to lowering tension (from everything I've tried and read, etc.) is stopping everything and just taking 5-10 really long, deep breaths. That can ease anxiety quite well.

Everything others have documented with weight sounds like good advice.

As far as how you were so out of breath, you probably already work-out, but if not, try some cardio on a treadmill or eliptical machine. They have done wonders for me.

Greg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom