Well, the good news is I finally got back underwater.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lisa0825

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
(OK, I probably made plenty of mistakes, but I am being honest about my bumbling experience, so be gentle with me!:10:)

I had no problem with equalizing, which was what I worried about because of the problem I had during my checkout dives! (YAY!)

The trip to the Keys started out hectic, but fine. I rushed to pack before work, rushed to work, rushed from work to the airport, and rushed from the airport to the hotel to meet a friend from another internet community. FINALLY, I had time to relax, have a beer, and hang out with my friend.

I got back to my hotel and arranged for a wakeup call at 8am. I woke up at 9am, no wakeup call. So more rushing around to make sure I could get to the hotel and then my dive appt in time. The drive went smoother than I expected, and I was ahead of schedule, despite the missed call… that is, until I got to mile marker 84 and came to a standstill. Turns out there was a major accident on Hwy 1at MM 78 and it was closed down. I lost about 2.5 hours and was 40 minutes late to the dive op in Marathon, but they waited for me.

Considering all the rushing and stress, I should have just postponed, but I really wanted to get out there. Setting up the equipment was in a rush, I had a borrowed BC, which I hadn’t worn in the water yet. We didn’t check it out ahead of time (other then me trying it on in my living room back at home over a thin t-shirt. I tried the regulator and sure enough, air came out. I didn’t take enough breaths to be sure of the ease of breathing. (mistake)

When we got to the dive site, the water was quite choppy, and visibility was not good. I got suited up, felt fine, no anxiety, eager to get in, but just a little nervous excitement. I put the BC on at the edge of the boat, and my breathing was a bit labored. I thought it was from the exertion of pulling up the wetsuit and lifting and moving equipment around. I checked the Velcro waist strap, and realized it didn’t wrap around nearly as far as when I tried it on in my living room. Not much room for adjustment. I told the DM I needed a few deep breaths first, and then I did the backwards roll into the water.

I remember having my eyes open and seeing the surface coming, and for that moment, I felt fine. But as I tried to take my next breath, I felt like my breathing was more labored. I tried deep, slow breaths, but the deeper I breathed, the more constricted I felt in the BC. Shallower breaths just didn’t seem to get me enough air to catch my breath. I tried putting some air in the BC to float more comfortably on the surface, but it made me feel like I had a blood pressure cuff around my body, and breathing became even more difficult.

I briefly took the regulator out of my mouth to get more air, and of course, I was told not to do that, but it felt like I just couldn’t get enough air through it. I said I didn’t want to dive. I couldn’t catch my breath, I thought the BC was too tight, and I needed help to get to the boat. I couldn’t even reach my fins to take them off, because of the way the BC fit me, so the DM helped me with that.

As soon as I got back on the boat and removed the BC, I caught my breath within a couple minutes. I was very disappointed that I missed the dive, but I didn’t think I was able to go through with it. I still felt determined to try it another time. I put my snorkel, mask, and fins back on, and jumped in to snorkel for a while. I felt fine. Visibility sucked. I didn’t see a single fish. But at least I got back in the water.

Saturday, a front moved through with high winds, and none of the boats were going out, so I posted on SB looking for advice on somewhere to go to get a dive in and said they could call me at the hotel. I got a phone call from Conch Republic Divers (not the same op from Friday). They said the weather and vis would be improving and they were going out on Sunday, so I made plans to go with them, with an instructor.

I do not believe what happened Friday was due to anxiety. I didn’t feel anxious at the time. But after that, my confidence was shaken. Now I really was a bit anxious, but determined to get a dive in. Andy, the instructor, gave a thorough briefing to me and a couple of discover scuba students he had. I could already tell he was much more thorough than what I experienced on Friday. The captain went over how important it was to take roll and make eye contact with every diver when they answered. Everything seemed very careful and professional.

I got my wetsuit halfway on immediately, so I’d have time to relax, in case the breathing issues had anything to do with the wiggling and tugging of getting dressed. I was pleased to see that the visibility was looking much better than Friday, though it was still quite choppy. I finished getting ready, and ended up being the first one to go in after Andy. My breathing felt fine. I thought positive thoughts. I stepped off the boat. I took a breath. And another. I surfaced. I kept my face down, held the line, and breathed. I felt good. Except that I couldn’t sink! Andy put more weight on me, tugged me a bit, and I was able to go down.

The dive was going pretty well. I didn’t see anything big and exciting, but lots of fish, coral, etc. I was just really happy to be breathing and equalizing. I did still have problems with buoyancy control, but all in all, this was going much better than Friday. As I used up my air, I started having increasing buoyancy problems, and on the way back to the boat, I found myself having to swim against a current. I was having to work very hard to not surface quickly and to swim in the right direction. When I got to the surface, I was quite winded.

I wasn’t having much luck catching my breath through the regulator. I rolled over on my back and held the regulator at my mouth, but took a big breath of fresh air. I told them I was very tired and needed help to get back to the boat. When I got to the ladder and got up high enough, I took the regulator out and took some big breaths. OH, that felt good! As soon as I caught my breath, all I could think of was that I had accomplished what I set out to do, as clumsy as it was! I got underwater and completed a dive! Granted, it was far from perfect, but it was more than I arrived with!

It wasn’t a fantastic experience, but it was definitely a learning experience, and I’m still determined to get back out there and get more practice. Hopefully the combination of timing, equipment, experience, and preparation will all be better next time. Oh, and by chance, I happened to meet diver_matt on the boat, so I have a SB witness that I did indeed complete a dive!LOL

I owe a big Thank You to Conch Republic for calling me and assuring me that I’d have all the assistance I wanted as a new and inexperienced diver. They definitely delivered on what was promised, and were very nice and professional.

Great job! Glad to hear that you got in the water and things went pretty well for you.
When you had trouble with bouyancy towards the end of your dive, that's probably because of the aluminum tank (I'm assuming you used). They get a little possitive at the end of a dive, and it can be tough to stay under especially if you're close to the surface.

Is there a pool that you could go to practice in? It might help relieve some anxiety if you're not in the middle of choppy ocean water and can just focus on breathing, etc.

Good job! Glad to hear you got in a dive!

Lisa, Im glad you got a dive in. Sounds like the first DM needed to see some basic signs. When I have a diver out of breath I check straps first. Didnt your BC have more than just the one strap? Next time it will go better. Get somewhere even if it is a pool to get experiance in. I love pools to practice cause you can spend all day if needs be. Go have fun soon.

Thanks y'all. I don't know about any pools to practice in at this time, but I do plan to get somewhere soon. There are springs and lakes I can practice in here in Texas, and I would like to do a bouyancy class too. The instuctor I got certified with knows someone to refer me to for that, because she prefers to wait for warmer water. I have been meeting with local clubs whenever I can to make contacts so I can find out all I can about where/when/how to get practice. I'll be going to the ChumClub meeting this week.

The BC had a wide velcro strap across the middle, and a narrow strap above it, plus the verticle straps on each side. It was the wide velcro one that seemed to cause me discomfort. To be honest, I was so focused on trying to breath that I can't tell you if he checked my straps or not! He kept saying I'd breathe better if I got underwater, but I just couldn't do it that time.

Except that I couldn’t sink! Andy put more weight on me, tugged me a bit, and I was able to go down.

One of the things I've learned the hard way is that, if you can't go down at the beginning of the dive, you can't STAY down at the end. Essentially every dive I've done where I had to be helped down, or had to swim down at the beginning, has ended with buoyancy problems due to inadequate weight. This was true even at the beginning, where some of my descent problems were definitely technique-related.

You did the right thing on the first day, to decide not to dive, but just to snorkel and relax. There are enough anxiety-producing things about diving when you're new (and sometimes when you aren't) that going down when you are already unhappy and your confidence has been shaken is not a good idea. Sounds like you had much better moral support the second time, and actually got to have some fun and see WHY you learned how to do this :)

Being totally relaxed is the key to success. After getting ready to dive, float in the water a couple minutes and relax, enjoy the moment. Try to avoid being the last diver in because typically they're not going to get any rest, be near the first and you'll have time to relax. Do as you did and be close to ready so that all you have to do is pull up the wetsuit, don the BC, reg and mask and hop in. Put your MOF (just kidding), just hang there and watch the others kit up and you'll find it helps.

Just wanted to say "Good for you" for not diving that first day. After spending a bunch of cash to get down there, taking off work (I presume), a bunch more cash to stay in a hotel, and another bunch of cash to be on that boat, it can be really difficult to say "Not today," so good for you.

It's also amazing how many of the accident reports we see begin with "I should have known better, I wasn't getting a good vibe..."

I think you handled things well especially calling the first dive.

Some things I think you learned (or should have) are to NEVER just try on equipment, and assume it's going to be good. A LOT of dive shops have pools, and those that do not generally have an arrangement with a local community or private pool that allows their divers to use the pool generally on specific dates.

What kind of BC were you initially trying? It sounds like a Jacket style, and they are known to squeeze.

Did you rent a BC for the second dive attempt, or were you able to adjust the one you had? Difficulty breathing could have also been a combination of the BC and Reg. The squeeze you were not comfortable with along with a poorly breathing reg would be a problem.

In any event, it will get easier over time. You weighting is an issue. You need to record the amount of weight you were using. Also if you have a difficult time sinking, that can mean trouble when your tanks are at 500psi (assuming you are using Alum). As much as people make a big deal over dropping weight, the bottom line is that it's better to have 3lbs too much vs. 3 lbs too little. The former may result in less than perfect trim, however the later can result in an out of control ascent.

Good luck, and stick with it!

RonFrank:
I think you handled things well especially calling the first dive.

Some things I think you learned (or should have) are to NEVER just try on equipment, and assume it's going to be good. A LOT of dive shops have pools, and those that do not generally have an arrangement with a local community or private pool that allows their divers to use the pool generally on specific dates.

What kind of BC were you initially trying? It sounds like a Jacket style, and they are known to squeeze.

Did you rent a BC for the second dive attempt, or were you able to adjust the one you had? Difficulty breathing could have also been a combination of the BC and Reg. The squeeze you were not comfortable with along with a poorly breathing reg would be a problem.

In any event, it will get easier over time. You weighting is an issue. You need to record the amount of weight you were using. Also if you have a difficult time sinking, that can mean trouble when your tanks are at 500psi (assuming you are using Alum). As much as people make a big deal over dropping weight, the bottom line is that it's better to have 3lbs too much vs. 3 lbs too little. The former may result in less than perfect trim, however the later can result in an out of control ascent.

Good luck, and stick with it!

I figured that unless I bought the BC from a dive shop, I wouldn't be able to use their pool to try it. I live in a house, and there are no community pools in town that are open in the winter... and no friends with apartments at this time either. Both BCs were jacket style. I rented the second one. I was able to breath well in the second BC, but the tank kept bumping me in the head when I looked up. I know that its position can be adjusted, but I didn't realize it until I was down, and it wasn't the top on my list of priorities, since I was so focused on getting my bearings. I thought about trying to signal what I needed, but never did get around to it.

When I got my OW cert, it was in a quarry, so I told them what weight I had in fresh water. But he was concerned that I was overweighted before, and that may have contributed to me filling my BC up too full, hence causing constriction. So, he didn't add as much weight. When I couldn't descend, the instructed added 6 more pounds. So, I guess a few more on top of that might be a good place to start.

I can definitely see how an uncontrolled ascent can happen! I was only at 25 feet when I was trying to stay down, and I felt like I was on an underwater treadmill, trying to move. At least by the time I gave up on staying down, I didn't have too far to go up, and the rest of the group went up at the same time too.

I'm definitely going to stick with it! I'm stubborn!:D

BC style can make a huge difference. For some jacket style feels too constrictive and makes breathing harder than it needs to be.

Gear can make a big difference in your diving experience, and I'd suggest you not use that BC you used if it's causing you additional stress.

Congrats on the dive though!!

Back
Top Bottom