We're Goin to Bonaire!!! First time

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SandyUT

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
After much research, the wife and I decided on the Belmar for our first trip to Bonaire. We are excoted and look forward to a fun trip. We have only done shore diving once and this will be a thrill. We went with a drive, dive, stay package (no boats). The only dive I really wanted to do by boat was the wreck (forgot the name). I ordered a book I found a link to here. Our last trip was to Grand Cayman and that about broke the bank - so we are looking forward to something a little easier on the cashflow.

If anyone has some not to miss shore dives please advise, or ony other Bonaire advice in general.

Thanks to all who wrote about all of the resoprts already - it kept me from adding to the "where should I stay in Bonaire" list of threads.

You are going to have SO MUCH FUN! If the wreck you are talking about is the Hilma Hooker...that is easily done from shore, also. My personal favorite site is Oil Slick Leap. It's fun to do the giant stride off the rocks. Also good are the Angelas, Ole Blue , Witches Hut, North Belham, Pink Beach., and don't miss the night dive at the Town Pier...actually they are all good! Can't go wrong no matter what you choose. Get Susan Porter's book...:"Bonaire: Shore Diving Made Easy". There are many good restaurants on the island. But we also did shopping at the local Cultimara grocery store and cooked in. There is a whole thread on restaurants in Bonaire. Anyway, there are some fun things to do for surface intervals, also. There is the donkey sanctuary, horseback riding, windsurfing, touring the island and we had massages also. You can't not have a good time. Any questions feel free to ask.

My favourites from last trip were:

In South:
Invisibles
Margate Bay
both Red Beryl Sites

In North:
Witch's Hut
Ol' Blue

But there are just too many good ones to name them all. I had missed Margate Bay and the Beryls first trip due to some rough surf and it was nice to get to see them because the soft corals were way more lush at that end.

After much research, the wife and I decided on the Belmar for our first trip to Bonaire. We are excoted and look forward to a fun trip. We have only done shore diving once and this will be a thrill. We went with a drive, dive, stay package (no boats). The only dive I really wanted to do by boat was the wreck (forgot the name). I ordered a book I found a link to here. Our last trip was to Grand Cayman and that about broke the bank - so we are looking forward to something a little easier on the cashflow.

If anyone has some not to miss shore dives please advise, or ony other Bonaire advice in general.

Thanks to all who wrote about all of the resoprts already - it kept me from adding to the "where should I stay in Bonaire" list of threads.

So when are you going? Too excited to tell us?:D

We are going Sept 13-20. just under 6 months away. Wish it were tomorrow!!!

There is great message board called BonaireTalk that I learned about while waiting to board my flight home from Bonaire! But it has tons of great information.
Bonaire Talk

Just got back this morning. A couple shore dives to add. We got to see about 6 turtles this trip. One @ PUNT VIERKANT swam with us for a few minutes and hovered over a good sized hawksbill @ BUDDYS REEF. At JEFF DAVIS MEMORIAL site we spent some time watching a nice sized southern stingray. Did HILMA HOOKER by boat, awesome, looks easy enough to also do from shore. If shore diving, definately rent a pickup truck, much better than a car with scuba gear.:14: Tom

Hilma Hooker is easily done from shore and allows you time to explore the reef as well. We like to mix up our dives with northern sites, southern sites and "in town" sites as each is different. I am assuming you mean that you ordered Bonaire Shore Diving Made Easy -- it will be a great help.

Some wonderful restaurants include: Pasa Bon Pizza, BobbeJans, Patagonia, Wil's Tropical Grill, La Guernica and Lions Den. We like to "eat in" for breakfast and lunch and then eat out at dinner. In Bonaire you need to ask for your check as it is considered rude to present the check unless the customer has asked. Prices are usually displayed in dollars and guilders on your check. Tuck a cloth grocery bag in your suitcase to use at the markets.

When you arrive purchase several large bottles of water or soda and then use the empties as dive site showers. Just fill them with water and leave them in the truck bed where they will get nice and warm during your dive! Be sure to leave nothing of value in your vehicle and the windows down and doors unlocked.

Enjoy!

Just to echo the previous posters, you are in for a great time and IMHO Chrissie the Asst Dive Ops Manager at Belmar does a great guided tour of both Town Pier and Salt Pier. the best way to "do the Hooker" is definitely as a shore dive, surface swim out to the buoy and descend then you can do a slow swim back up the reef on the way back and hopefully spot an Eagle ray cruising the shallows. I land in Bonaire for my 8th trip this Sunday!!! - can't wait to get wet

Have a good time

Andy G

I've been to Bonaire 4 times and each time I go, I love it more. Just got back two weeks ago. All the dives are great, one of my favorites is the salt pier. Enjoy!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom