Were You Introduced to Nitrox in Your Basic OW Class

To what extent were you introduced to Nitrox in your Basic OW class?

• Not at all.

Votes: 37 50.0%
  • Somewhat, but not enough to let me decide whether to take the Nitrox class

Votes: 24 32.4%
  • Quite a bit. Enough to let me decide whether to take the Nitrox class

Votes: 13 17.6%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally posted by Murdock325
I couldn't say not at all because it was mentioned slightly... not really pushed though.
Same here.

I got my open water certification in 1984, and I don't think NITROX was being offered to recreational divers back then.

Our instructor provided what I would call an orientation to Nitrox. Not so much to push it, but just to let us know what it was, how it works, and why people use it. She basically let us know that it was an option available to us as we develop.

Originally posted by ScubyDoo
Our instructor provided what I would call an orientation to Nitrox. Not so much to push it, but just to let us know what it was, how it works, and why people use it. She basically let us know that it was an option available to us as we develop.

Same here.

Both Nitrox and Trimix but pretty much only what they were used for and the fact that they existed...

It didn't come up in training, but I remember distinctly the first time I saw it used. After several years hiatus from diving (singing the destitute student blues), I went on a liveaboard trip.

My buddy and I were diving business as usual, that being air and tables, and we were a bit suprised to see everyone else on board using NitrOx and computers. It only took being the last in and first out a couple of times before we realized and accepted that our customary methods were not long for this world.

My instructor didn't mention it at all, of course it was 1977. We didn't even use BCs in class.

Ralph

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom