Were You Introduced to Nitrox in Your Basic OW Class

To what extent were you introduced to Nitrox in your Basic OW class?

• Not at all.

Votes: 37 50.0%
  • Somewhat, but not enough to let me decide whether to take the Nitrox class

Votes: 24 32.4%
  • Quite a bit. Enough to let me decide whether to take the Nitrox class

Votes: 13 17.6%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes. I took my initial scuba class through a major university. We had a whole semester of training. Naturally we extended to things well beyond basic open water. We did many of the advanced and master diver skills. Nitrox was mentioned and recommended as a possible cert. if you were going to continue diving.

ronbo - When doing O2 cleaning, you should do the hoses and replace the o-rings w/ O2 compatable ones.

Never mentioned either in OW or AOW. I heard about it independently, made enquiries and is something I'd like to do once I've got my rescue diver out of the way.

Nitrox was introduced (more like pushed) in my OW class. In fact most of us were diving with nitrox without having taken the class.

EANX was not around 22 years ago. I did my eanx cert when I was an AI. I was the first "legal" blender in town.

I have no plans of doing "adventure dives" with nitrox just yet. I do introduce my students to it thou as I usually use it on the last dive of the day.

The deep dive students will see me use trimix this year.

BTW , anybody seen the new trimix snorkels ?

Ron

yup,

but it wasn't MY ow instructor, it was my wife's. I went thru the ow cert again when she got certified and that instructor went quite in depth on nitrox and touched on trimix and heliox.

-Mike

I did my basic course in 1969...
.... in those days if any one had talked about Nitrox we would have thought it was another great British Heavy Metal Rock band!
:jester:
I joined Her Majesty's Forces about then and apart from air the only other option to breathe underwater was pure O2 from a Siebe Gohrman rebreather!
Must go now... need to take Zimmerfram to the Marine engineers for it's Monthly Maintenance Service.
:doctor:
Aquamore

Nitrox was discussed along with its pros/cons, but it was not pushed. My OW instructor did/does our boat dives with Nitrox, but he is not a certified Nitrox Instructor. When I asked about a class, he referred me to the SSI LDS about 28 miles away. I took two vacations to pickup the material, classroom portion, testing and did my check-out dives with Hydrospace (Panama City Beach, FL).

KD4RFA

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom