Wes Skiles Noted photographer's death will remain a mystery, medical examiner says

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Would not this be true for most ANYONE who dies while diving, or driving to the 7-11 to get mik???

or most any death.

the person who drives drunk the wrong way down the freeway knows the risks going into all those choices as well. pointing out that someone knew there were risks and made a choice is a worthless statement, which was my point.

In many cases, hypoxia (low oxygen) happens without the victim feeling any warning signs.

I do understand that much of the time, there are no warning signs. However, if there was some warning, which there may be sometimes, a bailout bottle at least provides the opportunity to correct the situation. Even if that happens only once in a while, that could represent a saved life each time.

I thought that there was more emphasis now in training on recognizing when things are not quite right and to bailout right away with that feeling, rather than waiting until it's too late. The effects of hypoxia at it's onset or other issues may be more noticeable to an attentive buddy or buddies as well.

.... pointing out that someone knew there were risks and made a choice is a worthless statement, which was my point.
In many cases people take on risks that they do not understand. The "My first dive was the Blue Hole" thread is an example of unknowing assumption of risk.

Wes Skiles diving solo was much more of a knowing assumption of risk.

Be careful, or I'll start quoting Donald Rumsfeld about known unknowns, etc. :D

In many cases people take on risks that they do not understand. The "My first dive was the Blue Hole" thread is an example of unknowing assumption of risk.

Wes Skiles diving solo was much more of a knowing assumption of risk. ...
That doesn't change the facts. Damn ... Wes is dead, and if he'd had someone with him on his ascent he might not be.

After watching Extreme Cave Divers (Bahamas Blue Holes), it was kinda sad seeing Wes Skiles and watching him at work.

A terrible loss...

After watching Extreme Cave Divers (Bahamas Blue Holes), it was kinda sad seeing Wes Skiles and watching him at work.

A terrible loss...

it was a little freaky seeing him on that show. I saw it to the other day this week, and his comments/words were a little too "self-prohetic" and ironic. An excellent documentary, none the less.

I often wonder if diving with a full face mask would mitigate these kinds of accidents. Even if the gas mixture were wrong and he became unconscious, he would be breathing something besides water, and that might buy a little more time... but I say this with very little knowledge, as a conjecture. Opinions?

Back
Top Bottom