West Bank Park Mapping Operation - Soliciting Help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Flightlead

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Loonies

I've been diving WBP since Thanksgiving with several of you and we have enjoyed paddling around following various lines and "landmarks" etc. that other generious Loonies among others have layed out.

I think it would be great to have a map of the cove that shows the various "landmarks", indicates where lines, platforms etc are, and shows the appropriate depths.

1) Does anyone else think that a map like that would be cool and useful?
2) Does anyone else think it'd be a fun project and give us a purpose to dive rather than just paddling around?
3) Who'd be willing to help?

Thanks

Flightlead:
Loonies

I've been diving WBP since Thanksgiving with several of you and we have enjoyed paddling around following various lines and "landmarks" etc. that other generious Loonies among others have layed out.

I think it would be great to have a map of the cove that shows the various "landmarks", indicates where lines, platforms etc are, and shows the appropriate depths.

1) Does anyone else think that a map like that would be cool and useful?
2) Does anyone else think it'd be a fun project and give us a purpose to dive rather than just paddling around?
3) Who'd be willing to help?

Thanks

Sounds like a great idea to me. I'm not sure how much I could help anytime soon, becuase I have a lot of equipment reconfiguration I'm working on, and I'll be in the pool for a month or so. But certainly let us all know, and whoever is available will speak up.

So my answers would be:

1) It would be awesome and very useful for me.
2) An added purpose is great.
3) I would, when available.

That sounds like something I'd enjoy helping with. Of course, it would likely prove useful to me as well, as I have not yet been able to dive WBP. :D

That would be great, and I would love to help. I have never done anything like this before, so I don't know how we would do it.

Hey, why not? Sounds good to me.

Fantastic. I reckon if we dove in teams we could do a pretty good first pass of data collection with a solid weekend of diving. I will put together a "straw man" project plan and post it for discussion.

I'm thinking that a good way to plot it out will be to first establish a datum point on the beach area. Then divers would shoot up markers from each "landmark" (such as bucket of rocks, steel fence, line intersection, 80' platform, stand of trees etc) and the bearing and distance to the marker from the datum point could be measured. I have a decent hand bearing compass for shooting bearings, does anyone have a range finder to measure distances?

Operation: Charted Commode

I have a lake lanier waterproof map that we can try and make notes on.

Well this gives me an excuse to order a new SMB and finger spool.

BTW: Check out the hot deals forum if you haven't already, DiveSports is selling some sweet 7' SMB's from XS Scuba for $52.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom