West Bank Park Mapping Operation - Soliciting Help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Guys

Here's what I have worked out at this point. Please review and give me any feedback. Am I going overboard here?

Thanks

Attachments

• WBP Divers Cove Mapping Project.doc
    36.5 KB · Views: 122
Have you ever tried to inflate a milk jug while submerged? I think it would be better to use real SMBs. I certainly would not want to use more than one milk jug at a time.

You don't have to inflate milk jugs. You simply leave the cap off and let them fill with water.

Blow a couple of bubbles into them and off they go to the surface.

the K

ekewaka:
Have you ever tried to inflate a milk jug while submerged? I think it would be better to use real SMBs. I certainly would not want to use more than one milk jug at a time.
Hehe, well, actually...

See, I was at this quarry, and I had already picked up a nice number of golf balls for the shop guy to play baseball with. I had lots of time remaining on my nice 90' blend nitrox on the 85' quarry floor, so I started looking for toys. I spent most of my NDL blowing air into containers and launching them to the surface. A few minutes later, I'd find one back on the bottom and bounce it off the surface again. All in all, it was great fun.

Anyway, the "trick" for efficiency with a milk jug is to cup a hand around the neck to divert more of your exhaust bubbles into it. Of course, the large several-gallon jug was a beast. (You had to strongly swim down while loading it up with air in order to have maximum launching power.) The milk jugs, however, were quite fun.

Haha, i'm just greatly excited by the prospect of sending garbage shooting to the surface.

Reminds me of one of the first times I dove at WBP I was over by the swimmers beach, got there before anybody else, but by the time I finished there were 100 people in the water. Came up right next to a girl on a float and about scared the life out of her. :lol:

shooting milk jugs to the surface would have been even more fun. :D

Maybe we don't need milk jugs or SMBs. We could just tie a line to the beer cans and send them up.

:lol:

So then we would be combining it into a Mapping/Cleanup dive

No, we can't do any cleanup. Diving in Lake Lanier just wouldn't be any fun without all those interesting things to look at on the bottom. After we finish mapping we can just drop them back down.

The concept behind the gallon milk jug is that they're cheap, light weight, easy to attach a line to, bright enough to be seen at the surface and are large enough and made of the right material to make a good target for a laser range finder.

Stand at one point, range the jug, take a compass bearing to it and go to the next, then the next, then the next and so on.

Record the range/azimuth and trig out the rest. Gets to be pretty accurage, +/- 3' or so.

the K

With a solid set of (at least two) control points, you shouldn't need the azimuth, eh? You just record the range from each, and there you have it. It seems a lot easier to get good ranges than it is to get good azimuths, unless you have surveyor-quality equipment.

With two control points and a nice baseline between them, you just take the distance from each, and it's all trig from there.

Back
Top Bottom