West coast of Thailand in November

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yozzer

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hi I'm planning to come out to Thailand for 3 weeks in the middle of November this year. Quite like the idea of island hopping with the possibility of doing a liveaboard for few days up north, possibly Burma.

Been looking around the forums and websites and there seems to be plenty to do, probably too much as I'm now getting confused.

Any ideas for diving from Koh Lanta? Preferably with Nitrox. Also keen to do some drift dives, even do a drift speciality if possible.

Also any recomended liveaboard outfits?

Any help gratefully accepted.

Hi Yozzer

here's some info from my own site on Koh Lanta that might help:

MV Flying Seahorse is a good value liveaboard that departs from Koh Lanta -- they do 2 day and 4 day trips around the Southern Thailand sites (Hin Daeng/Hin Muang, Koh Haa etc) and 5 day trips to the Similan Islands with some of the Southern Thailand sites too. Plenty of drift dive opportunities.

MV Jazz is a good choice for Burma trips - Burma is not a cheap destination, but the Jazz run the lowest priced liveaboards as far as I know.

I was on the Flying Seahorse last December and on the MV Jazz in Burma this January -- had a great time on both. Burma is fascinating diving but it's quite hit and miss, so be prepared for the possibility of strong currents and murky viz at times.

Re Nitrox - I think the Flying Seahorse is providing it from next season but not sure. Jazz only provides Nitrox on request at 200 Baht a tank I think.

Hope this helps.

Best
Chris

Sawadee krup, Yozzer,

I've done quite a bit of day-diving in the southern sites, and did a liveaboard through the northern sites on the MV Colona (not including Burma). The northern sites were raved about, but we had low viz, so it wasn't so enjoyable. Everytime I've been to the Similan Islands, I've been quite impressed... especially liked Elephant Rock with huge granite boulders, swim-throughs, arounds, unders, etc.

The best southern dive sites I think are Hin Daeng (red rock), Hin Meuang (purple rock) and Ko Ha (5 islands). Good chance for mantas at either of the Hins and lots of georgeous soft corals. Ko Ha has a dive site with two adjacent cathedrals scalloped out of the base of one of the islands, with a thin wall separating them and a swim through window between them. Quite cool... you'll like this. And Ko Ha is one of the closest sites to Ko Lanta.

I did a similar trip last year for the month of December. Dived with Santana out of Phuket for my liveaboard. They are really good value, run by a really experienced German couple, its a quite basic boat but run with really good humour! did 4 nites and 5 days of diving which took us as far as the Similan Islands but not to Burma. The diving was out of this world!

Stayed in Koh Lanta as well - dived with a great outfit called Scubafish. they are in the north of the island - cant quite remember exactly where.

Spent a week on Koh Phangan - diving not so good there - bad vis altho close encounter with a bull shark!

You will love it out there.

Good luck!

:D

Thailand has fantastic diving and great people-you are in for a treat! I did diving for a month on the Gulf side and west in the Andaman. The livaboard trip on the MV Philkade up the coast to southern Burma which includes the Similian and Surin Islands was the absolute, hands down best!! Not cheap, but the best-- saw everything possible, it seemed-including the elusive whale shark. Have fun!

Hi...you have something to look forward to, Phuket and the surrounding Islands has some amazing diving. To name a few "Most dive sites" You Have Phi Phi Islands to the South East of Phuket with the world class sites of Red and Purple Rock, Koh Ha, and closer to Phi Phi Koh Badi Nok and Nai.
Then there is Similan Islands a total of 9 Islands and every sites is a new and exiting experience it has been rates as one of the 10 best dive spots in the world " that is difficult to say unless you have been to every site in the word", but it is amazing. Further to the north you have Koh Bon, Koh Tachai and the Surin Islands incl. the Famous Richelieu Rock. Personally my favorites are Koh Bon and Koh Tachai deep and current swept sites with a wide range of marine life.....but the main attaction is large marine life Manta and Mabul rays, reef and leopard sharks and sometime whalesharks......

Im going on a 6 days 7 nights trip on the 26 Nov to 3 Dec where we are going to visit all the mentioned divesites and more.....if you should be interested Ill be happy to send you more information and details

I can tell you that I have been working 10 years as Instructor on Phuket and South East Asia and I know the right boats and time to go.....

Looking forward to hear from you....

Regards,
Soren

Just a quick reply to Redwoodette here, as cruise director on MV Philkade you've made me a very happy man.

Bless you!

Yozzer, if you're still looking at a trip check out thePhilkade Burma section of our website. You'll find many reviews and opinions on diving in Burma but our site descriptions are based on our diving in the 2007-08 season so you can be sure they are up to date.

Enjoy your trip,

Aladdin Dive Safari is an awesome liveaboard outfit that goes to Burma. They have packages for Similans and Burma, with a day off ship around Ranong. Really cheap, and good services. They are based in Ranong, making the prices lower then the cut throat Phuket competition. I have done two trips to Burma, incredible diving without seeing any other dive boats.

Hi there.
I have a friend Wolfgang (master diver trainer) from Austria. Hes terere in Thailand, and been there for the last three years. Knows everything and every one. He dove everything from thailand to borneo. Here is hes email wolfgangsouththailand@yahoo.com . He could help you, or anyone that planning a trip to that part of the world. Tell him Joe and Lorie sent you.

Not sure about Ko Lanta but I recently went to the Similans with the White Manta (w.whitemanta.com]Welcome to Whitemanta.com[/url]) Their vessel the Black Manta has Nitrox and all amentities, awesome crew, more food than you can eat, A/C, big screen TV, the best in service... They always have a neat group of people too. Flown to South East Asia to dive them three times now, never disappointed. They are a much better value than US or Mexico liveaboards. Have two more trips already planned and I would like to do their Burma trip. The trip I did to the Similans had more surge than drift. 80+ degree water and so many things to see, including a huge manta ray.

Justin

Hi I'm planning to come out to Thailand for 3 weeks in the middle of November this year. Quite like the idea of island hopping with the possibility of doing a liveaboard for few days up north, possibly Burma.

Been looking around the forums and websites and there seems to be plenty to do, probably too much as I'm now getting confused.

Any ideas for diving from Koh Lanta? Preferably with Nitrox. Also keen to do some drift dives, even do a drift speciality if possible.

Also any recomended liveaboard outfits?

Any help gratefully accepted.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom