West Coast Thailand Dive Trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

akrecdiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I posted this on the "General Asia" a few days ago and have received a half dozen PMs that were quite helpful - to the point where I'm considering not diving Myanmar, unless it's included on a 8+ day liveaboard. And, from what I've been able to ascertain, there aren't any scheduled during the front segment of my trip. I still might try to squeeze Cambodia in, but the few PMs I received suggested the quality of dive sites, and maybe dive operators is lacking. So, moving to the Thailand forum > I'm hearing Hin Daene and Hin Muang in southwest and the Similans in Northwest? Also, anything unique for the end of March/mid-April time frame in those areas. Again, please PM if you'd rather not post here. Thanks to those who PM'd me. Especially Siamdivers (fast response and awesome detailed information ARD :goingdown:

"I have a month long trip planned (airline tickets have been purchased) at the end of the dry season traveling west to east, to Myanmar, northern Thailand, north-central Laos, and possibly southwestern Cambodia. The Thailand and Laos portions of the trip will include motorcycle touring. I am going to include a 5 to 7 day live aboard somewhere on the trip. I would like to dive the Merguie Archipelago in Myanmar, which would be on the front end of the trip. Or, possibly a 5 day live aboard in southwest/southern Cambodia at the end of the trip. I've been researching the dive portion of my visit for some time now, here and on other websites; and can't quite get a handle on which area would provide the best quality of diving - Myanmar or Cambodia. I haven't really looked at the Similan or Surin Islands, as they seem over-priced and over-crowded. Although the quality of diving seems very good. I'm looking for a remote/unique experience. I've read some reviews that over fishing in the archipelago and in Cambodia; and dynamite fishing in the archipelago, have compromised the quality of diving in both places. I've also heard that locating Cambodian dive operators willing to travel to decent dive sites is difficult. I recognize some of what I've read can be attributed to local dive operation competitiveness. But, sometimes facts are elusive. Has anyone had experience diving in Myanmar or Cambodia in April/May? If so, what are your experiences with dive site quality and/or dive operators. Are there any unsafe dive operations I should avoid. If I dive the archipelago, I'd prefer not to take a long trip out of Phuket. Are there safe, reliable dive operators in southern Myanmar? If so, what would be the costs for a 5 to 7 day live aboard in US dollars, out of Myanmar? This will be a first time trip to southeast Asia. I will be taking my own goggles, regulator compass and computer. I'd like to take my own BC, and might do so if I dive the front end of the trip - then ship everything back to Alaska. Any advice or opinions would be appreciated. I will appreciate any information anyone has to offer. If you prefer to PM me, please do so. Thanks, ARD" :goingdown:

Back
Top Bottom