West Marine Scuba Shops-Within-Stores - What to you think?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

but until they develop a full service model that includes trips, regular local dive site outings, support and multi brand offerings, I don't see them as a major threat to the industry. If other manufacturers sign on and we have multiple brands available there, then the game changes. Thoughts?

So, if I'm reading you correctly you're suggesting that until West Marine adopts the currently employed, but by most accounts woefully outdated LDS business model (that is failing left and right as the industry continues to contract and on-line sellers eat the lunch of those who are left) they'll never be successful?

Hmmm...

I'm gonna guess if you search back far enough on ScubaBoard you'll find someone suggesting the same thing about LeisurePro. I wonder how many trips or dive outings they've booked in the last 5-10 years.

:d

West Marine is only rolling out scuba to their largest super-size stores.

And you can bet that they will be trying this new venture in the SoFla Mega Stores first.
Coincidentally, Mares USA Headquarters, and a huge warehouse/distribution center is in Boca Raton Florida.
I know some of the staff there.
Nice people, and the ones I know are very experienced divers.

I see this as mostly a good thing for SCUBA and not much of a threat to established high quality successful LDS's.
The "Yachties" will buy their paint, cargo shorts, Tervis Tumblers, and electronics at West Marine as usual.
They might sign up their grand kids for SCUBA lessons, and buy some middle quality gear.
Hopefully some of them will get interested and learn to dive themselves.
But mostly,
West Marine clientele drink a lot of booze and buy their seafood.
This is pretty much a "No big deal" in my opinion, and I expect it to never be a big success for WM.
They will generate more of a profit on the high end sunglasses they sell than SCUBA.

Chug
Only buys from the clearance rack at WM that is next to Zona Fresca.

Last edited:
Bill Jackson's sporting goods store in Florida has had a dive shop in their store for as long as I can remember. But it is a full sized dive shop staffed with instructors and even has an indoor pool. Their store is very different than a WM store which is why I think it works for them.

Bill Jackson's sporting goods store in Florida has had a dive shop in their store for as long as I can remember. But it is a full sized dive shop staffed with instructors and even has an indoor pool. Their store is very different than a WM store which is why I think it works for them.

Where is Bill Jackson located?

I already use WM 3/4 finger cut sailing gloves for summer dive gloves; lots of protection and full use of fingertips and cheaper than any glove sold in any dive shop I've been in. Why not? The LDS are dying one at a time anyway.

Looks like two of the first stores will be in Jacksonville and another in West Palm Beach....

So, if I'm reading you correctly you're suggesting that until West Marine adopts the currently employed, but by most accounts woefully outdated LDS business model (that is failing left and right as the industry continues to contract and on-line sellers eat the lunch of those who are left) they'll never be successful?

Hmmm...

I'm gonna guess if you search back far enough on ScubaBoard you'll find someone suggesting the same thing about LeisurePro. I wonder how many trips or dive outings they've booked in the last 5-10 years.

:d
Hey Jersey Boy! You get your gas fills online too?? Howzit work --a tank valve dongle wireless transfer fill-whip to your USB port???

Unless West Marine/Port of Los Angeles San Pedro can service all ScubaPro/Aqualung Regs & equipment of LA County Sheriff, Fire & Port Police Agencies; and USC/Wrigley Science Center Catalina Island -then Local Dive Shop Pacific Wilderness that's been here over 25 years servicing/certifyimg the community's Scuba Divers will be out of business (not!). . .

Diver's Direct will eat their lunch in Ft Lauderdale...

...and Key Largo and Key West and Miami and Orlando.....
The few times I have been in a divers direct I found the stock pretty darn good, but the staff wasn't really all that knowledgable about the equipment or even where things were in the store or who had the keys to cases.

---------- Post added December 27th, 2014 at 08:26 PM ----------

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]
Had a professor in grad school who used to say that there's a reason you don't see ads on TV that say "Fly United Airlines... but keep in mind that air travel is an inherently dangerous proposition."
You also don't see UAL with ads saying "If you fly Delta you will die!", though that Utah Law suit seems to show that some scuba agencies are thinking about testing that....[/FONT]

Last edited:
Hey Jersey Boy! You get your gas fills online too?? Howzit work --a tank valve dongle wireless transfer fill-whip to your USB port???

You can get your fills from the same place you get your hydros. PHMSA - Cylinders - Authorized DOT Cylinder Retesters: Domestic We have already reached a point where a diver never has to step into a LDS ever again. Manufactures like HOG understand this and make their products so they can be serviced without a LDS if you choose.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom