West Wales diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DORSETBOY

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Have made several dives in west wales and would be interested in people's suggestions for good shore dives nearish to West wales Divers where we go to get fills on the way.

One of the more popular shore dives there is Martinshaven.

Allegedly its good for life.

Ive done it once. Vis <1m and strong surf so cant really comment :)

Im far more into boat diving.

I've done this too and the vis was dire. Loads of divers there and most were boat diving the nearby wreck of the Lucy. I found some articles on this wreck on Divernet and they recon the vis is generally poor as well.

Some years back I did St David's and as I recall the vis was poor there.

Detect a pattern...... ???

Chris

Know what you mean about the crap viz, there's always plenty of divers whenever I'm down West Wales Divers Shop so either they know somewhere half decent or we're all chasing around for the elusive decent dive site! :D

Maybe i should add in all fairness to Martinshaven it does have a reputation for being a good dive.

I did it after we'd driven the 115 miles to Pembroke to find the boats werent even leaving the marina as its too rough. Having travelled that way we were determined to dive somewhere.

Between the large surf, the rocks being thrown up by the waves, the dangerous entry, the cuts and bruises we sustained getting out and the compass only zero vis it wasnt one of my better dives :)

My first and so far only ever shore dive. I like my boats :)

Ive done a number of dives out of west wales.
Of course boat dives do get you to the better sites but there are still some good shore dives.
Martins Haven, as suggested. Ive done mostly boats from here, however i have done a number of shore dives, most people go off to the right of the bay, viz here is generally worse than that on the left. the left is also a deeper dive, think i had about 25m on the left, great viz, loads of life - be careful of the skomer island ferry.

You can also do shore dives from st brides bay, shallow sandy dive, but get amongst the rocks and the kelp on the left of the bay and you will find some huge wrasse.

Stackpole quay - cant say much about it really, only done the one dive there. and it was cr@p, we went right - shallow, kelpy, plenty of floaty stuff, bad viz. Mates went on the left (same time)and said they had one of their best dives ever, still dont know if they were bull shi**ing me.

Try in West Wales divers, Dai or Amanda will tell you where the sites are. Or if you need a dive guide for either of the top two give me a shout.

Back
Top Bottom