Wet Suit Rookie!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

spthomas

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I admit it! Certified 25 years, and never used a wetsuit! My idea of diving has been trunks and a tshirt in Cozumel! But, now I'm diving colder water, and bought a wetsuit, a 3mm full Henderson Neo-Sport.

Down to about 65 degrees it seems fine, but colder than that I probably need a bigger suit (at the 60 degree thermocline I definitely was uncomfortable). so I now have 6 dives in a wetsuit, a realpro (NOT!). But now the question.

The suit seems to fit pretty well. BUT, I noticed in the water, in the colder level (65 degrees or so), I'll be doing fine, and then I reach for something, or move my arm a bit to look at my console, or do some other movement. COLD SHOT DOWN THE BACK!

Is this normal? Something we just have to put up with, and try not to move ("Doc, it hurts when I do this." "Well, don't do that!").? Or is this a fit problem with the suit? Like I said, it was a noticeable and fairly sudden motion, but nothing real extreme. Like pointing at something with outstretched arm, that sort of thing.

=Steve=

there are suits that do a better job of controlling the water transfer but that is why they call them wet suits. Their job is to trap a small amout of water and keep it next to you body. Move the wrong way and you get a fresh dose.

Hallmac

65 degree F in just a 3 mil? :cold: But then, you didn't post your DOB, so maybe you're younger?

I did some of my FW training dives in San Solomon Springs, near Balmorhea TX, in a 3 mil and velour lined polyskin at 72-78 F, and a couple of times I got cold there - fighting off "cold" viruses both times, I think.

Others I did at Santa Rosa NM's Blue Hole - always 62 F. In a 3 mil, with a velour lined polyskin underneath, I was okay for a short dive. I really like a 6 mil and a beanie in that spring, though! Did 55 F at Catalina last month in my 6 mil and beanie, and I was okay for a while.

Now, not only does my age affect me some, more - I think - is a matter of what I'm used to. I don't tend cattle in blizzards anymore, and I do most of my diving in warmer waters. Still, in colder waters, I think more suit is just good planning.

But back to your specific problem... Are you closing the neck good, or just zipping up? I suspect you need the neck fitting tighter. And I really like my lined polyskin! Adds a bit more warmth, a bit more protection for the water that gets in the wet suit, and make the wet suit slide on easier. Considered on?

DUI will be hosting Dry Suit Field Days this fall. First weekend in December in Santa Rosa, but earlier in Allen TX, I think. Check their site.

And good luck staying warm! :flame:

Thanks for the tips. I think the suit seems to fit ok, and it has velcro at the neck, but maybe I'll snug it up a bit better. But it sounds like that may just be part of it, the cold water shot down the back and all. I'll just be VERY Careful how I move!

And I am a bit young (turn 50 in Jan), but more than that I am quite tolerant temperature-wise. I dive in 78 degree water in Cozumel in the winter with a t-shirt and trunks, and don't really get cold at all. So when I can keep it from circulating, the 3mm felt fine at 65 degrees.

And I am signing up for the DUI Dry Suit days at Clear Springs Scuba Park in Terrell, TX on Nov. 22. I'm really eager to try that.

=Steve=

The neck seal should fit tight enough to prevent a cold surge, or at least reduce it. If you bought it at a LDS, what do they say?

You're only a few years younger than me, by the way, just more acclimated I guess. But you really ought to look into the velour lined dive skin under the wet suit. I carry a regular skin, in case I break the zipper on my main skin again, and I can tell a bit difference if I use it under the wet suit.

The DUI Field Days are fun. Bet you enjoy it

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom