Wet suit thickness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The 7mil should be a good choice. I use mine for the whole season here, which saves me the hassle of re-weighting back and forth. The range of temp I use it in varies from the high 50's to the low 80's. It's hard to get too warm, even at the higher end. I usually lose the hood and switch to lightweight reef gloves at about 75 degrees.

cmcarver once bubbled...
Is there any kind of basic guide for how thick a wet suit you will need is?
Nope, to give you a datapoint from my diving, if the water's in the 80s, I wear a 3mm jumpsuit. 70s, a 7mm jumpsuit. Less than 70, I dive in a drysuit.

I know people who switch to a drysuit in the 70s even.

Roak

I will get my gear today and I am going for the 7mm. I don't like to be hot. I tend not to wear a coat even during January in St. Louis because it is too much of a hassle. But like you said when in the water it is easier to cool off than warm up. Just the opposite of what I am used to above the surface. Thanks for the advice.

I hope your dive came out ok. I did a bit of diving at Mermet when I was working in St. Louis, and it was cold! My instructor broght me a suit to use, and it was a 7mm farmer john. I hated it (too much suit!), but we went to 60' or so and anything less wouldn't be enough.

=Steve=

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom