Wet suits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

elan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Moving the question about the wet suits used for vintage diving here:

What wetsuits are popular amongst the vintage divers, what can you recommend? I live in Montreal so I would have to go with a thiker suit, I was thikning 7 mil ?

My friend recommended to get the freedivers 2 piece suit (pants and the top with the beavertail flap), the one that is tight and can only be donned using soap water :) He dives his in summer and can stay more or less warm in lake ontario for 30-40 mins, I'm not sure about the thickness of the suit though, I think it's 5 mil.

I'm traveling to Florida - Ft Lauderdale/Miami this weekend so if you could recommend me a good place where I can buy the suit it would be awesome !

Thanks a lot in advance...

Last edited:
If it is measured in "mil" or millimeters then it is probably not vintage.

I have been totally unsatisfied with current "vintage like" suits or reproduction suits, on eBay suits or any of it so much so that I no longer care and will NOT spend another dime on any so called "vintage" rubber suits or even anything made out of rubber that is not brand stink'n new and by that I mean, made last month or less.

N

So I guess it's not worth extra hassle and I should just get a regular suit ...

There are a few good vintage "looking" suits out there. Elios sub makes a great one, not inexpensive however. I have one and it is the absolute best fitting suit I have ever had. There is also a Canadian Co that has made a bunch for us recently. Being from the US, I worked through my friend who owns Scuba 2000 in Toronto. Contact him, his name is Alec, and tell him what you want. Mention my forum name and he will know exactly what you want. They can be had in black smoothskin or silver smoothskin, beaver tail jacket, etc. Price is reasonable.

Alec in his silver "Sea Hunt" suit (Canadian Made)
AlecWetsuit.jpg

Me in my black "Sea Hunt Bad Guy" suit (Elisos Sub Italian Made)
meinwetsuit.jpg

Oh thanks a lot simonbeans, I know that shop, I used to live in Toronto and I believe I even dove with them once

That is the kind of suit my friend has and I was thinking about getting the same

Thanks for posting the info on the wetsuits Simonbeans, I was trying to find a manufacturer of sharkskin rubber so a freind of mine could make me a suit but that silver suit really cought my eye.
Some how when I jump in the water with my DH and all the rest of my vintage gear, having on a new style wet suit just doesn't cut the mustard.
ZDD

Elan, Did you ever find a vintage suit? I have a 7mill suit that I had made at M&B wetsuits. It is correct in every detail and was made from original patterns from Ski and Dive from the early 60's. It is made from Rubbatex neoprene and is of the best quality. I love the suit but it is too thick for my purpose. I am going to have another one made just like it just thinner. This suit only has a few dives on it and is new and perfect in every way. If you are interested in it you can e mail me at maadams1@comcast.net

Elan, Did you ever find a vintage suit? I have a 7mill suit that I had made at M&B wetsuits. It is correct in every detail and was made from original patterns from Ski and Dive from the early 60's. It is made from Rubbatex neoprene and is of the best quality. I love the suit but it is too thick for my purpose. I am going to have another one made just like it just thinner. This suit only has a few dives on it and is new and perfect in every way. If you are interested in it you can e mail me at maadams1@comcast.net

Easydiver I decided to postpone the purchase untill the next year i have not found one yet.

To Simonbeans:
How's that Parkway Sharkskin suit working out for you?

JMJ Wetsuits

These guys rock! I had them make me a custom fit smooth skin beavertail and it was perfect. Right down to the twist locks and metal zipper. Cost about the same as a regular wetsuit too. They get my vote!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom