Wet Wide Angle Lenses don't work with 4/3 or DSLR Systems, Example Pictures

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

4/3 vs. Compact... The following gallery pictures were taken with the OMDEM5 or the Sony RX100. I can't even remember what camera took what picture. The OMDEM5 is shot with the 60mm macro or Lumix 8mm Fisheye. So all macro shots are with the EM5, pier and sweetlips rock shots with EM5/8mm. Everything in between or with sun balls/sun rays is probably the Sony.

EM5 & Sony RX100 Mix
Aquablue Dreams

As I have said before if the Sony shot a little better Macro it could be my main camera. In part because I have come to terms with I am not submitting shots to the National Geographic or BBC and at most make 5-6 poster sized prints a year which Sony and its 20 megapixels can handle no problem. Where interchangeable lens cameras really shine is at the "ends of the spectrum" incredible maco and super wide angle with fisheye lenses. For everything in-between we are seeing more and more compacts that can give the big boys a run for their money. (No I am not comparing the compacts to Full Frame DSLRs for out of the camera picture quality)

To the original subject, you buy an interchangeable lens camera to take advantage of what the camera can do with good glass on it. Wet diopters for Macro make sense! As noted with the * and other statements, yes you can make some WA wet lenses work with some zoom lenses but IMHO it is like putting tricycle tires on your Porsche.

i am totally convinced of the superiority of DSLRs and mirrorless in terms of versatility and image quality. i shoot with a Nikon D7000 and variety of lenses and flashes. but when it comes to underwater, i am on a tight budget already. buying a housing for D7000 would cost around 1500 USD if not more without mentioning strobes and different ports while buying a high end compact and housing would cost little bit less, so it doesn't make any sense for me. meanwhile the E-PM1 bundle costs 500 USD which is a great price for me.
and i totally agree with you on "putting tricycle tires on your Porsche" concept. when i needed to shoot wide with my D7K, i bought a WA lens not Wa adapter on the 18-105 kit. same for macro lens.
i think i will go for the E-PM1 kit after all.

I switched to Sony RX-100 from Oly XZ-1 and I have to say that togehter with inon H100 with dome port, the image quality is a bit better but in Sony I am missing about 1/64 flash power and macro function in AF work, so Sony is much slower than XZ-1, and because has bigger sensor it also vignietting with that wet WAL.

I use both sony rx100 and olympus epm1.
The sony system is great, allowing me to take both macro and wa pictures on the same dive, like the 2 attached pictures that was taken successively
DSC04719.JPG DSC04707.jpg

The wa was taken with the fix uwl-04 and the macro with epoque dml-2.
however, for macro and supermacro, working with DSLR (or mirorrless) and a dedicated macro lens is much more convenient hence I bought the epm1 with the 60 macro.

Since I have the Inon micro-fusheye, I've tried it on with the E_PM1 and 14-42.
attached is the result, cropped slightly to elliminate the vignetting.
PB121848.JPG

Back
Top Bottom