Wetsuit Advice - St Lucia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rqscott

Registered
Reaction score
I will be honeymooning in St Lucia in December. What water temperatures can I expect and what type/thickness of wetsuit should I take? Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks

I was there a couple of years ago in Feb, and I was fine in my 2/3 mm shorty.

rqscott:
I will be honeymooning in St Lucia in December. What water temperatures can I expect and what type/thickness of wetsuit should I take? Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks
Here is a link to the NOAA buoys for that area here. #41101 is reporting Air Temperature (ATMP): 81.1 °F, Water Temperature (WTMP): 82.8 °F with the current from there headed for St.L. You might save that link and look at it right before leaving.

A skin would be plenty for most, altho some people chill much more easily than others. If you have a 3 mil, I'd try to take it, just in case. If not, maybe you can rent one if needed to wear over your own skin.

BTW, shorties for jet skiers. Divers need the protection of full length suits, INMO. :wink:

And welcome to SB. Go to Introductions forum to post one if you'd like, so we can welcome you more appropriately. :D

Well, when I was there in October last year we dove in swimsuits because the water was in the mid-eighties. Not sure about december, but my guess would be a 3-mil full at worst.

I was there last July (I don't think there is a substantial change in water temperature) and I dove a full 3mm just because that's how I'm comfortable, but several others on the dive boat were in swimsuit/t-shirt...

I was in St. Vincent last Dec (~20 miles south of St. L.) -- my wife and I wore 3 mm fulls and were comfortable. Water temp was in low 80s, but I never felt overheated.

I am going to St. Lucia in December as well. I plan on using my Microprene. I am buying a wetsuit for my son who will be diving with me. I am looking at a couple of the 3/2mm suits where the body core is 3mm but the arms and such are 2mm. If I had to buy a new suit, that's probably the direction that I would head.

BigD

My better half and I just returned from St. Lucia Saturday. We both wore skins and were quite comfortable. In fact I wore shorts the first dive day.

Dive the Pitons if you get a chance. If you are going to Sandals or can rig a day trip to Martinique do so. I highly recommend it Diamond Rock and Devils Drop are well worth the hour and half boat ride. We went via Sandals Resorts for $100 extra each. That included two tank dives, food, a couple hours shopping on the island, and beer on the ride home.
The regular afternoon dives in St. Lucia were so / so. The regular morning dives were fantastic. Great micro reef type diving. The wreck is great for advanced divers.
If you want to hear more feel free to e-mail me. bh_ms@bellsouth.net

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom