wetsuit buoyancy Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am preparing to leave for Hawaii to dive and snorkel. When I usually snorkel in warm water, I do not wear a wetsuit. Upon saying that, I just bought a 5 mil shorty wetsuit and was wondering how much buoyancy this would add, so i can adjust with weights. Anyone know a rule of thumb for added buoyancy in salt water?

Thanks

Bryan

I would guess close to 5 lbs would be about right..

It depends on how big you are and how you want to be weighted. The deeper you dive, the less weight you will want. If I'm going to be mucking about in shallow water with a 5mm shorty and don't want to have to work hard to stay underwater, I'd probably want about 8 to 10 pounds. If I'm going to be diving deeper, say past 25 meters, I'd probably be down around 5 pounds.

FYI: I'm about 6 ft, 165 pounds. Heavier/bigger people will need more weight.

Depends on what kind and size of tanks they have and how much muscle vs fat you have on your body! It's also a new shorty, so you will need more than if an older suit.

I am not in favor of rules of thumb, I am in favor of weight checks. For snorkeling, of course, you need no weight, unless you want to enhance you ability to free dive while snorkeling. In that case just 3 or 4 pounds is appropriate. As to weighting for scuba, there is such variance in body type, size, water conditions and other factors ( including gender) that a weight check, particularly with a new exposure suit, is important.
DivemasterDennis

I added a 3mm hooded vest to my gear. I had to add almost 10 lbs of weight. My buddy only needed 7. I am 6'5 and 195lbs. My buddy is around 6' and 215lbs. The variables are so wide that there is no real round about number. Do a weight check before you go and save yourself some hassle.Matt

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom