Wetsuit buoyancy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

60plus

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Anyone have a rough idea how much extra weight I would need to put on if switching from a 3/2mm wetsuit to a 7mm wetsuit?
1) In freshwater
2) In seawater

Put the suit in a mesh bag......add weights until it sinks......

The mesh bag probably won’t work great. Two many factors involved, You height, weight, tank type type of setup.... empirically testing it is usually best. If you are already trimmed out well in your old suit, you can probably make reasonable guess. For a surprisingly good guess, Dive Buddies has a pretty decent calculator. It was only off by a couple of pound on my summer rig.

DiveBuddy

If I may.....

Yes, the bag method works better to determine the actual buoyancy better than any “estimate”. To determine overall buoyancy there are more factors. As the OP already has his “constants” he just needs to know the difference in his suits. The conversion from salt to fresh is easy, +/- 4 lbs (estimated) lol.

Depends what your body composition is like, if you’re nervous as you hold more air in lungs, etc.

Go diving. When you resurface at the end of the dive, presuming you have 40 bar in your tanks, you want to empty your wing completely (go inverted), then if you sink too quickly, take off some lead, if you can’t go Dow, add lead. This is a weight check, not directly answering your q. @tbone1004 is an expert on this, he could explain better than me.

Anyone have a rough idea how much extra weight I would need to put on if switching from a 3/2mm wetsuit to a 7mm wetsuit?
1) In freshwater
2) In seawater
I have a 7mm farmer john and jacket with mitts and hood. I'm 5'10", 160lb and with aluminum 80 tank I need 30lb lead in sea water.

I was thinking of a method similar to the suggested mesh bag method. I like to arrive at the dive site with my weighting pretty near rather than messing about with weight at the shore - particularly in UK Autumn weather.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom