Wetsuit drama.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

N.Grace

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm completing my Open Water at the weekend in Snodland, Kent and had to try on some of the diving shop/school's wetsuits today to see which one I would need. It was recommended I take a 7mm.
Unfortunately, I have had very little, if any, experience in putting on/taking off wetsuits. It was also baking hot weather today and I was steaming hot and sweating. Trying to get into this wetsuit with tacky, sweaty limbs was proving to be impossible. I was tugging and yanking at the legs but they just bunched up around my shins and as I struggled to pull the thing on I became hotter and sweatier and progressively more stressed. I was advised to put water into the wetsuit. This did not work. An Instructor passed me some sort of spray to put on your body that's meant to help you put on wetsuits. It did precisely nothing.
Determined to somehow squish myself into the wetsuit I persevered and tugged and tugged until eventually I burst into tears, standing outside the ladies loo in my bra and knickers with several male Instructors/DM's/dive shop assistants etc wandering about with a wetsuit bunched up about my legs. I was at the end of my tether. I was advised to return on Tuesday for another attempt.
This seems like such a trivial issue - "am I really so useless I can't even get into a wetsuit!?!" sort of feeling. My primary concern is that the weather here in Britain is meant to be baking hot for the next few weeks so I will be probably continually hot and sweaty and how on earth am I going to get into this wetsuit on Tuesday, let alone at the dive site in Kent on the weekend.
Does anyone have any advice for getting into wetsuits that just won't budge when you tug them about trying to get them on? Thanks guys :)

I wear a 7 mil a lot. I am very cold sensitive, and the 7 mil suit is the winner for me. With that said I also wear either a Lycra jump suit or a rash guard under my wet suit because it makes donning and doffing my wet suit so much easier. I also really like the sun protection when spending time on the boat between dives. You might try one if these options.

Another trick to help you get into a 7mm suit.......Put a plastic bag over your foot or hand before inserting into the wetsuit. You are correct, the hotter, sweatier you are, the more difficult it is to get into the wetsuit.

rule of thumb for donning wetsuits:

wet to wet, or dry to dry.

If you're wet (even sweat) the suit should be wet. If you're dry, the suit should be dry.

Thanks for the replies guys I will remember your advice. I'm sure I'll be fine in the end :D

Ask what the spray is. I'm pretty sure it's watered down conditioner or baby shampoo. If so then you need to do two things.
Wash off your sweat with a damp rag, then apply the spray liberally.

Your sweat has a lot of salts that make you extra sticky, and it doesn't mix too well with the conditioner. Bring a small spare towel to wipe yourself off after.
The suit should be soaked as well. Don't just damp the outer material, soak the entire thing so even the inner material is wet.

Alternatively you could use a towel and sink to quickly wash and dry yourself, so you can slip into a dry suit.
Have your suit turned inside out. Slip your feet into the leg holes, then roll the suit onto yourself. Same goes for the arms.

Another trick to help you get into a 7mm suit.......Put a plastic bag over your foot or hand before inserting into the wetsuit. You are correct, the hotter, sweatier you are, the more difficult it is to get into the wetsuit.

Don't think the plastic bag is a gimmick. It really works!! Foot and leg slide right in.

They have a funny way of not training new divers on this important stuff, too busy with disaster mitigation. Anyhow I got into my 7mm wetsuit in 90F sunshine the the other day and it was a stress free affair. it takes a little planning and technique. You can read a lot of it here. How you roll the suit on and a little lubricant for the upper body can help a lot.

Having some quenching water avilable is important. I like 1/2 liter water bottles (refilled from tap) other use larger jugs. Pouring some water into the suit when things start heating up is an outstanding stress buster.

Pete

A lycra skin is a good thing to have, both to help a wetsuit slide on, and as a barrier between you and a rental suit. It's also better to wear around the shop than your knickers. :) If you eventually go diving someplace warm you may be able to dive in just the skin, or at least use it for sun protection if you go snorkeling.

It's probably mainly the temps and sweating in your case, but one thing I say to people having massive problems getting into a wetsuit, is that maybe it's too small. Yes a suit needs to fit closely to keep you warm, but people can sometimes go too far with that (especially the people who aren't trying to get into it!) and there really is such a thing as too small.

It doesn't sound like you've gotten far enough to tell, but sometimes the cut of a suit just isn't a good fit for your body, and that makes things worse. That is a harder thing to address with rental suits, as the shop may have mostly one brand/model. But if they have a mix of suits you might try a different style.

Back
Top Bottom