Wetsuit Fit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gmh320

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,
How tight should a wetsuit be? I realize that you need a snug fit, but is there a way to determine what is a good fit versus what is downright constrictive? I tried on some that I couldn't zip up easily...they just seem way too tight. Is this how they should be? Thanks in advance.
Greg

gmh320:
Hi all,
How tight should a wetsuit be? I realize that you need a snug fit, but is there a way to determine what is a good fit versus what is downright constrictive? I tried on some

I find my wetsuits to be hard to zip, they zip in the back and sometimes the zipper will not go up without snagging the material. Normally my buddy will zip it, especially if I have a hood.

If it's a front zip type I'd say it's too tight if you can't zip it. You didn't say which it was, but in general it's got to be tight, but not tight enough to bind you or make breathing harder. It will seem looser under water though.

For your first wetsuit I'd go with the advice of a LDS and trust them on it.

One LDS says that with the suit pulled up on your shoulders and ready to zip (like a full jumsuit with a back zip) The zipper should be pulling in no more that 2 inches of material, Some of that will be just coming in closer to your body, some will be stretch of the material.

I say you should have full range of motion, arms up, down and to the side. The suit should not hold your arms up. The suit must NOT help you exhale, I had one like that for a few skin-dives and it's very apparent if you just get in the water for a skin-dive. You should be able to bend over and touch your toes ( or do as close as without the suit) without fear that you're going to blow the back door off the thing. The wrists must not be so tight that they bring on numbness or other neural problems.

Meanwile it should be a very close fit with a hint of noticable compression. it will loosen some with use but you don't want to die getting it there.

There's nothing wrong with getting a buddy to help you zip up as a convenience and so you know the zip seal flap is laying right. If it's impossible for you to do it I'd be warry.

If it's an olympic feat to get into it that's no fun either. Get the knees just right and start rolling up. If you're sweaty or the suit has arm seals some suit snot can relieve the cliing and ease punching through the sleeves. Suit snot is usualy 1 part cheap hair conditioner (consider fragrance carefully, vanilla is safe) and 2 parts tap water in a pump spray bottle.

Pete

I compared two suits (both times, when I bought the 3mm and 7mm) and found that if I felt like the "Stay Puft Marshmallow Man" it was too tight! (meaning that I felt "bouncy" in it)

The 3mm feels like a t-shirt compared to the 7mm...oy!

7mm takes some getting used to. Additionally my suit has seals at the wrists, calf, and neck which take some more getting used to, you appreciate them later however. I can zip my suit without assistance but I prefer help. If you are of the gender with curves, as I am, an important thing to keep in mind is that the suit should not be loose in the chest or the hips because you don't want TOO much water in there. Additionally weight gain in either of the aforementioned areas will effect zipping efficiency.

Buoyant1:
I compared two suits (both times, when I bought the 3mm and 7mm) and found that if I felt like the "Stay Puft Marshmallow Man" it was too tight! (meaning that I felt "bouncy" in it)

The 3mm feels like a t-shirt compared to the 7mm...oy!

You got the point, bouncy is bad.

Be sure to understand the water temps at the depths you will be diving, surface waters are VERY misleading.

Just remember you gotta wear what you gotta wear to be comfortable and hence a safe diver. Same holds true for the ballast that heavy protection warrants. That being said if and when you can use less it's a nice break from the maximum neoprene.

I worked my way from 3 to 5 to 7 skin-diving so I hardly noticed the suits and welcomed the protection.

Pete

I'm glad Greg posted this question. I am tall (6ft 2) and *very* skinny - underweight by all accounts. If I use a normal size wetsuit the arms are legs are not tight, meaning seawater gets in whever I move and I get very cold very quickly (even in 30C water!).

I found a wetsuit that had wrists and legs that were the right size - but it really restricted my arm and general body movements, and was very tight lengthwise. I couldn't do the neck up at the back for the last inch because it was too tight around my throat if I did. But what is better - a bit of restriction in movement or getting cold and having to thumb the dive after just 20 minutes?

Thanks for the great responces. I've tried both a 3 mil and 7 mil in the same size with the 7 mil being almost impossible to zip up. The 3 mil was much easier and felt better all around. I think I will need to go to a larger size on the 7.

Find a custom suit instead.

TikTok:
I'm glad Greg posted this question. I am tall (6ft 2) and *very* skinny - underweight by all accounts. If I use a normal size wetsuit the arms are legs are not tight, meaning seawater gets in whever I move and I get very cold very quickly (even in 30C water!).

I found a wetsuit that had wrists and legs that were the right size - but it really restricted my arm and general body movements, and was very tight lengthwise. I couldn't do the neck up at the back for the last inch because it was too tight around my throat if I did. But what is better - a bit of restriction in movement or getting cold and having to thumb the dive after just 20 minutes?

TikTok:

Like BrianS said, go custom. If you're not an off the rack size then your not going to dive right in an off the rack suit. Plenty of recomendations in the exposure protection forum.

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom