Wetsuit for April/May

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

huckster

Registered
Reaction score
Hi I'm wondering what size wetsuit would be suitable for diving for the end of April early may? i will be diving in Maui and Oahu.
Thanks

Find out the water temps at depth where you will be diving. Then go to your local dive store and discuss your trip with them. A reputable dive shop will be able to fit you with either a full wet suit or shorty that should do the trick. They will consider your body type and size, experience level and budget to help you make the right choice. Comfortable diving should be a priority, so please depend on your local dive shop rather than just buying blindly online. (And for the record, no, I do not own a dive store, nor does anyone in my family. I just strongly believe that building a good reputation with your local dive shop is crucial for avoiding expensive mistakes in equipment purchases.)

For most tropical diving, you will be looking at a 2-3 mm wetsuit or combo (2mm arms/legs with 3mm body). If the temp at depth is very warm (in the 80s F) you can get away with a shorty.

Otherwise for an extended stay with multiple dives, you should consider a full wetsuit, remembering that the more and more often your skin and body are exposed to the water unprotected, the more heat you are giving up to the ocean. Over several days of diving, that heat drain can be of concern depending on your comfort level and what kind of shape/health you are in.

Again, a reputable local dive shop can answer these questions for you and steer you in the right direction. One last thing: if you are looking for a decent wetsuit at a decent price, consider the Tilos brand. My wife and I are very satisfied with ours.

Hope this helps.

UomoScuba

I normally wear a 5 mil full suit on Maui and have been comfortable. Choice of wetsuit is a factor of a number of things - your personal tolerance to cold, water temp, how many dives you plan to do, etc. I've normally experienced water temp in the 75-78 degree range on Maui if that is a basis for your comparison. I would not personnally wear a shortie wetsuit in that temperature range, but that is your preference. Most of the DM's I've seen on boats are wearing 5 mil or even heavier full suits. A hood or beanie might also be of some value to you. I usually keep a beanie in my bc pocket just in case I get chilled.
YMMV..

on oahu..
winter 5mm full (73°F-76°F)..

summer 3mm full (77°F-80°F)..

May transition.. 3mm first dive..
add hood second dive, as required.

Water shouldn't be warmer than about 76-77 degrees in late April/early May. Personally, I wear a 7mm full suit when diving Maui in those temperatures, but I dive daily and the repetitive dives really lower my core temperature. My husband wears a 5mm Merino lined full suit and is comfortable for repetitive diving.

YMMV, so use that temperature as your guide and choose appropriately for your needs.

I think it really depends on where you usually dive and how your body adapts and is accustomed. My most recent dives averaged around 44 F and are all dry suit dives, I think because of this, when I was in Costa Rica and Jamaica with water temps averaging around 74 F, I was perfectly comfortable doing 2 tanks a day wearing a 3mm shorty.

I dive over on Kauai and I wear a 5mm, but I know other instructors that wear a 7mm.
There are also some that don't wear a wetsuit at all.....everyone is different.

It's been 72 lately... I usually do a 3mm with full hood and gloves and I'm comfortable, but I'm always hot. Most people seem to think 5mm is most comfortable. Or you could do a 3mm and bring along a hooded vest for more warmth if needed.

Yikes! A 5 mil here seems thick to me. I usually go with a 3 mil in the dead of winter and a shorty or even board shorts in the summer.

I will be there in May as well. I think last year May I just used a 3mm and it was fine for 2 dives a day. This past January I was there with a 3mm, hood and vest, but I didn't use the hood or vest I was fine. I think it makes a difference if it is a sunny or cloudy day. I was on Oahu.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom