wetsuit for petite women

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

luk

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm going to a 3 day/11 dives liveaboard in Thailand next month. The water temperature is about 80F. I get cold easily, so I plan on wearing a shorty over a full wetsuit. The dive operator only has 3 mm shorties. So I'm looking for a full wetsuit. Should I get a 3 mm for that? I'm a pretty small woman - 5'1" 95lbs. Where should I look for a wetsuit? I tried some at a local store, and they're all too big. I also looked online, but didn't find my size either.
Thanks!

I'd try to avoid putting suits on suits, there are items made to effectively layer.

Accepting that you get cold easily a 3mm won't do the trick for that 3/11 dive schedule. (Do you need a partner?) :)

Start with a 5mm full suit and then get a 2 or 3mm hooded chicken vest to layer under the full suit. That will protect your head, a major heat loss point and close off your neck opening, a difficult place for a simple wetsuit neck to seal on.

See suits here.

Pete

Reactions: luk
Shorties are not appropriate for diving, in my opinion, although you could layer a lycra skin underneath one to protect all your skin. But since you get cold easily, a full 3- or 5-mm wetsuit is the right idea. 5-mm suits are less common, but since you are doing 3-4 dives a day, get cold easily, and don't have a lot of body fat, that's the way I'd lean, even in Thailand's warm water (at least 80&#8457:wink:.

I'm 5' 2" and found that actually body gloves fit me the best. I get cold easily and use a 3 mil or 5 mil hoodie along with the 3 mil wet suit in 80 degrees and am usually good. I bring a skin with me so if I do get cold the first dive, I'll put a skin on before the second dive, then the 3 mil and usually good. The hoodie helps a lot

My spouse has the same issue. We bought her a Scubapro 3mm and got it tailored. Had zippers installed in the legs and arms at the same time. She dives it with a skin. She also brings five bathing suits with her so she always starts with a dry core.

Thank you everyone for the recommendations!

---------- Post added November 27th, 2012 at 09:54 AM ----------

Lisa, what type of hoodie are you using? I'm not familiar with it and not sure how it looks like.. Can you please recommend me one?

Where are you? Have you thought about having a suit made for your body type? I would go 5mm for your application. Bruce

I've been diving around Thailand several times and for the most part a full 3mm suit is more then adequate however, there are things you can add that will greatly improve your warmth. The list is too much for myself but I've seem some people using it.

External exposure protection:
Full 3mm wetsuit
Neo Sport by Henderson 3/2mm Vented Bib Hood
3-5 mm bootie
3mm gloves

Internal and snorkeling protection:
Hyperflex by Henderson 13 Oz Polyolefin 50/50 Long Sleeve Rash Guard
Hyperflex Polyolefin Long Sleeve Rash Guard, Black
Hyperflex Polyolefin Short Sleeve Rash Guard, Black
Neo Sport Paddle Polyolefin Pants
or you could just get a full suit
Henderson Polyolefin Jumpsuit with Spine Pad Unisex

If you can afford it the stuff from lavacore seems to be super warm otherwise the stuff from henderson (neosport & hyperflex) is really good too.

Cheers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom