Wetsuit for the chubby but avg ht woman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Did you buy one made with Rubatex or Wetwear NCN neoprene?
Rubatex and it has outlasted any suit I have ever gotten... by a LONG shot! I was always LAST in putting on a wetsuit... off the shelf items just didn't work well. But now I am quick, and it's easy and I don't get physically stressed or feel like a sausage. I love it!

I was always LAST in putting on a wetsuit... off the shelf items just didn't work well. But now I am quick, and it's easy and I don't get physically stressed or feel like a sausage. I love it!

I assume NetDoc has the WetWear suit that features full length zippers up and down both the arms and legs.

Off and on in seconds. It is the shiznitz. :lotsalove:

I actually have slightly shorter zippers because I have two hip pockets. They are simply awesome though. I will wear a drysuit, but probably not another wetsuit!

Hi all,

I just got certified and took a few 'real' dives in Cozumel, but I have a couple of questions for all of you.

I am 5'6'' and go about 210 (although to be honest no one ever guesses that. I think I must be packed in here pretty tightly, lol). I purchased a 3mm wetsuit from a company online (gasp....the horror, right?) But other than being just a little long it isn't a bad fit really and worked very well in Coz. The 7mm did not fit AT ALL.

Because I live in Wisconsin I need a 7mm in order not to get frost bite in...oh...August :)

Are there wetsuits for women like me (carry most of my weight around my belly and thighs) that are shorter? Every time I look at some they end up being for really tall men.

Help?

Hey RedStillettos, If you are not going to go to a dry suit right away, you should try the Henderson Hyperstretch suit. It is a good suit and I use it in Chicago waters. I have even doubled up my 7 mil over my 3 mil just to make sure I was not cold and was reasonably comfortable with mobility. If you do get a hyperstretch, you will need to try it on first to get the right size. I ended up with a size 10 as it fit best but I have not worn a size 10 in jeans for a few years. The sizes are a bit off.

I would suggest looking into a drysuit though. You can dive in it all year in the midwest. There are suits to fit, some may need to be custom depending on the manufacturer of the suit. However, I tried on a Whites Drysuit this weekend and the stock suit fit me well (except the feet were to big, easily remedied though).

To get a Henderson 7 mil Hyperstretch, you will spend $400-$500. A Whites Drysuit will run around $1500 and the DUI will be around $2500-3000. I think the DUI is the suit for me (will know more at the June DUI days at Pearl Lake) as the suit seems more durable then the Whites mainly because of the wrecks that I want to dive.

I hope this helps and good luck to you. If you are diving locally at all look us up in the Wrecking Crew Section of the board. Maybe you can organize a dive in Milwaukee and we can come up your way. Or if you can make it to DUI days June 6-7 at Pearl Lake in South Beloit, you can try a DUI wetsuit for $15 (even without having the cert) and see how you like diving in that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectrum
1. The very properties that makes these suits so conforming makes them susceptible to crushing at depth.

I have heard this repeatedly, but have yet to see any data. Has anyone actually measured the extent of suit compression with depth?

This speaks to depth

This speaks to material

Granted it's a competitor but the compression effect is what's behind the need for a buoyancy compensator.

Pete

Wow you guys!

A girl goes away for a few days and look what all happens here!

I am going to check out a few of those suggestions this weekend hopefully. Wish I could even consider the drysuit, but will have to make due with a good wetsuit.

Now if only I were thinner in the waist and thicker in the wallet!

Okay...going to find a dive buddy ... let's hope the link from here works this time!

Back
Top Bottom